Quadrantid Meteor Shower, First of 2012, May Dazzle Early We

03 Jan 2012 18:07 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.space.com/14092-quadrantid-m ... ary-4.html
Quadrantid Meteor Shower, First of 2012, May Dazzle Early Wednesday
by Denise Chow, SPACE.com Staff Writer
Date: 02 January 2012
File Attachment:

False-color image of a rare early Quadrantid, captured by a NASA meteor camera in 2010.
CREDIT: NASA/MEO/B. Cooke

The first meteor shower of 2012 — the lesser known Quadrantid meteor shower — will kick off a new year of skywatching when it peaks on Wednesday (Jan. 4).

The peak of the Quadrantids will occur at around 2 a.m. EST (0700 GMT) on Jan. 4. If you're planning to stay up late to catch the peak, you could be treated to meteors at a rate of 100 per hour, NASA officials said in a statement. Luckily, the waxing gibbous moon will set at around 3 a.m. local time, so as long as there are clear skies, conditions should be ripe for meteor watching into the pre-dawn hours. The sky map available here shows where to look to see the Quadrantid meteors.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jan 2012 18:31 #2 by HappyCamper
I think I will wake up in hopes of seeing it...NOT :lol: :lol: :lol:

03 Jan 2012 19:32 #3 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Jan 2012 19:58 #4 by HappyCamper
Just like to sleep but you know as often as I wake up I will look.

Saw a way cool shower a couple of years ago but it was because I was up.

I guess since you will be up you will post the AWESOME pictures RIGHT?

03 Jan 2012 23:04 #5 by Blazer Bob
Just took a look. The moon is too bright.

A few years ago the wife and kids rented the Roberts Cabin for a night.

It was during the peak of the Perseid meteor shower the sky was completely clear and there was no moon. I slept out side and it was beyond spectacular.

03 Jan 2012 23:27 #6 by ScienceChic
tongue: Although I will probably be up, I'm afraid there will be too much light down here in the city to see anything really well. neptune, that sounds like an awesome experience! I will try to coordinate something like that with my family - the kids would love :biggrin: being woken up in the middle of the night (I'll tell 'em Santa's coming early :wink: )!

03 Jan 2012 23:35 #7 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: tongue: Although I will probably be up, I'm afraid there will be too much light down here in the city to see anything really well. neptune, that sounds like an awesome experience! I will try to coordinate something like that with my family - the kids would love :biggrin: being woken up in the middle of the night (I'll tell 'em Santa's coming early :wink: )!

If you get a clear sky and no moon, I guarantee the experience. I recommend staring into the dying embers of a fire while waiting for full darkness.

04 Jan 2012 00:03 #8 by otisptoadwater
I warmed up the dregs of last years Glühwein and took a stroll with the Wundermutt, still too much moon light to see much. I'll take another look tomorrow night, maybe viewing conditions will be better.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Jan 2012 00:50 #9 by ScienceChic

otisptoadwater wrote: I warmed up the dregs of last years Glühwein and took a stroll with the Wundermutt, still too much moon light to see much. I'll take another look tomorrow night, maybe viewing conditions will be better.

Will they still be visible tomorrow night? The story only mentions a small window of opportunity of a few hours tonight, with the peak having started 45 minutes ago and prime viewing time at 1am when the moon sets.

04 Jan 2012 00:52 #10 by otisptoadwater
That's ok, any day I get to stroll in the woods with the mutt and sleep in the next day is a great day!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds