Lake Vostok is (Almost) Breached After 20 Million Years

07 Feb 2012 07:46 #1 by ScienceChic
This is totally sweet, and sad at the same time. This water hasn't been exposed to our environment in millions of years and we will be opening it up to that.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/lif ... A_Facebook
Lake Vostok is (Almost) Breached After 20 Million Years
By Caleb A. Scharf | February 6, 2012

From 2001 M. Studinger and R. E. Bell Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

Two and a half miles beneath the surface of Antarctica’s central Eastern ice sheet is a body of water 160 miles by 30 miles across known as Lake Vostok, after the Vostok research station above it, built by the former Soviet Union in 1957 and now operated by Russia.

For the past 14 years a hole has been gradually drilled down from this location into the ancient layers of ice.

It’s tremendously exciting just as it’s also tremendously worrying that we will have messed up yet another irreplaceable ecosystem.

It’s possible that what’s happening at Vostok Station today is the beginning of our next chapter in the search for life in the universe.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Feb 2012 08:02 #2 by Nobody that matters
I guess if you think about it, we've already done radar imaging, seismic, and who knows what all else trying to figure out what's down there. Yes, direct contact has a much greater chance of contamination, but the imaging attempts may have alread disturbed any life down there.

I hope they're careful about contamination.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds