30,000 Year Old Plant Resurrected From Seed

21 Feb 2012 16:30 #1 by ScienceChic
It's an AP story so I can't quote any of it, but some Russian scientists discovered a squirrel's burrow 125 feet down in the permafrost that contained fruit and seeds, and they were able to grow a fully functional plant from one of the seeds. Cool! :thumbsup:

Jurassic Park here we come! :biggrin:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html
Russians regenerate flowering plant from 30,000-year-old frozen burrow of Ice Age squirrel
By Associated Press,
Published: February 20, 2012

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2012 18:26 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
SSShh, I am hatching a dino at this moment.

23 Feb 2012 18:46 #3 by otisptoadwater
Maybe it's just me but if a plant didn't manage to evolve over the thousands of years there must be a reason. I hope that this ancient plant is being grown under controlled conditions, what might come back from the past that could be detrimental to agriculture of the present?

To be clear, I am a total hypocrite in this area. I agree with most genetically engineered crops, those the flourish make for better crops that are pest resistant, greater yields, and drought resistant. The failures are destroyed and I trust that seed companies and biologists recognize harmful traits in genetically engineered crops.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Feb 2012 18:52 #4 by Martin Ent Inc
When I read the article, I thought of that prehistoric squirrell from Ice Age and his Acorn.

I don't like genetically engineered seeds or plants, they have taken the good Ma Nature put into them and made them mutant similarity's that may be the cause of alot of medical problems these days, JMO.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds