Faces of Cleopatra and Antony's Twin Babies Revealed

24 Apr 2012 11:14 #1 by ScienceChic
This was neat - I'd never delved further into Egyptian history or thought much beyond Cleopatra and Antony getting married. I wonder what happened to their sons...

Faces of Cleopatra and Antony's Twin Babies Revealed
Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News
Date: 21 April 2012
File Attachment:

Cleopatra's twin children, Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene have been possibly identified in this sandstone sculpture.
CREDIT: Giuseppina Capriotti.

Cleopatra's twin babies now have a face. An Italian Egyptologist has rediscovered a sculpture of Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene, the offspring of Mark Antony and Cleopatra VII, at the Egyptian museum in Cairo.

The babies weren't the firsts for Cleopatra. The Queen of Egypt had already given birth in 47 B.C., when she bore Julius Caesar a child, Caesarion. In 36 B.C. she presented Antony with another son, Ptolemy Philadelphus.

Little is known of the children Cleopatra and Mark Antony left behind after their suicides in 30 B.C. following defeat in battle.

While Caesarion was murdered under Octavian's orders, the lives of the three offsprings of Cleopatra and Antony were spared. Some years later, Alexander Helios and Ptolemy Philadelphus would disappear without a trace. Only Cleopatra Selene survived. Married to King Juba II of Mauretania, she had at least one child, Ptolemy Philadelphus, likely named in honor of her little brother.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds