Earth Quiz: Do You Really Know Your Planet?

29 May 2012 18:38 #1 by ScienceChic
Earth Quiz: Do You Really Know Your Planet?
LiveScience Staff
Date: 28 May 2012

I scored an 8 out of 10 - it should be easy to beat that! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2012 21:57 #2 by otisptoadwater
8 out of 10 for me, then again I'd argue that the posterior of the world is either Mumbai, Mogadishu, or/and Cleavland!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

30 May 2012 03:52 #3 by ScienceChic
You will get absolutely no arguments from me that it is Cleveland! rofllol

I've been to Mumbai and yes, while it is squalid and beyond dirt poor in parts, it is also beautiful in others, filled with history, fascinating architecture, and an incredible amount of chaotic energy and life. It is a testament to the conditions in which we humans can survive and thrive, and to both the best and the worst parts of our natures.

I have no idea what Mogadishu is like, and don't plan on discovering that in my lifetime. But Cleveland, it definitely sucks. :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Jun 2012 13:46 #4 by robjohnson
If hemp and things of that sort grow naturally, why are they morally wrong for us to use them if we legitimately need them? Like say someone was allergic to other sorts of medication for things they needed to use, and their wasn't good enough for chemotherapy and other medical attention that dealt with surgery and waves. I hope I'm not too off topic.

When driving to Colorado on the 285 bound, I love to drink a little cup of corn silk tea. It Optimizes Urinary Tract Health, Maintains Healthy Blood and is packed with Vitamin s and Minerals. If you want to learn more check out, Corn Silk Tea . They offer a range of herbal teas.

05 Jun 2012 14:16 - 05 Jun 2012 14:34 #5 by bailey bud

You answered 9 out of 10 questions correct!

(lightning question incorrect)

India's slums - bad? Read Stewart Brand's book, Whole Earth Discipline.

He'd argue that slums are actually GOOD........

Brand, as you may know, was one of America's first environmentalists.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magaz ... he-planet/

05 Jun 2012 14:21 #6 by ScienceChic
Hi robjohnson, welcome to 285Bound! Not too off-topic at all, we rather like the tangents that threads can take as that often leads us down very interesting paths. :)

I personally don't consider a moral aspect of taking a substance, for me from a biologists point of view it's all about the positive and negative effects that any substance has physiologically and whether it's safe for the one consuming it. Morphine is widely used in hospitals, heroin to a lesser degree - both have highly beneficial effects, but only in a carefully controlled/managed care setting due to their highly addictive nature and harmful consequences when taken outside of moderate amounts.

Most things (obviously not poisons) that we consume, even common sugar, that is natural is beneficial, or at least neutral, to our health if taken in moderation. The problem is when we go to the extreme - either in dosage or in length of time of consumption. To me, that's not a moral issue unless the physiological effect of a substance causes one to do something immoral (like hallucinating, then getting in a car and driving and hitting someone or getting so desperate due to an addiction that one turns to stealing in order to fuel the addiction). That is why natural substances that cause those kinds of effects should be banned, unfortunately I think as pharmaceutical companies have gained power, they have had substances like marijuana blocked because it cuts into their profits, more so than it's degree of danger to our health.

I hope that maybe answered your question, it's my thoughts on it at least.

Anyone else like to chime in? :)

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds