Honeybee decline linked to deadly virus

08 Jun 2012 18:49 #1 by ScienceChic
This has been a perlexing issue for quite some time; glad they finally got it figured out. Now on to a treatment?

Honeybee virus: Varroa mite spreads lethal disease
By Victoria Gill BBC Nature
7 June 2012

A team studying honeybees in Hawaii found that the Varroa mite helped spread a particularly nasty strain of a disease called deformed wing virus.

The mites act as tiny incubators of one deadly form of the disease, and inject it directly into the bees' blood.

This has led to "one of the most widely-distributed and contagious insect viruses on the planet".

The findings are reported in the journal Science .

Science 8 June 2012:
Vol. 336 no. 6086 pp. 1304-1306
DOI: 10.1126/science.1220941

Global Honey Bee Viral Landscape Altered by a Parasitic Mite

Stephen J. Martin, Andrea C. Highfield, Laura Brettell, Ethel M. Villalobos, Giles E. Budge, Michelle Powell, Scott Nikaido, Declan C. Schroeder,

The arrival of the parasitic Varroa mite into the Hawaiian honey bee population allowed us to investigate changes in the prevalence, load, and strain diversity of honey bee viruses. The mite increased the prevalence of a single viral species, deformed wing virus (DWV), from ~10 to 100% within honey bee populations, which was accompanied by a millionfold increase in viral titer and a massive reduction in DWV diversity, leading to the predominance of a single DWV strain. Therefore, the global spread of Varroa has selected DWV variants that have emerged to allow it to become one of the most widely distributed and contagious insect viruses on the planet.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2012 18:50 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
Hopefully they can find a treatment.
However I have alot of honeybees, The Son had a swarm over the weekend at his place.

29 Jun 2012 09:17 #3 by BearMtnHIB
Anyone who has a swarm they want to get rid of- please PM me.

I am looking for a swarm for a friend of mine.

We will give them a good home next to thousands of wildflowers in Evergreen.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds