Do Brain Scans of Comatose Patients Reveal a Conscious State

29 Jun 2012 10:53 #1 by ScienceChic
Still controversial, but I think very promising for determining which patients are worth extra effort to revive. I like the way he's designed his tests.

Do Brain Scans of Comatose Patients Reveal a Conscious State?
Scans allow a researcher to communicate with people previously written off as unreachable and offer hope in identifying those who might respond to rehabilitation
By David Cyranoski and Nature magazine | June 15, 2012

Adrian Owen still gets animated when he talks about patient 23. The patient was only 24 years old when his life was devastated by a car accident. Alive but unresponsive, he had been languishing in what neurologists refer to as a vegetative state for five years, when Owen, a neuro-scientist then at the University of Cambridge, UK, and his colleagues at the University of Liège in Belgium, put him into a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine and started asking him questions.

Incredibly, he provided answers. A change in blood flow to certain parts of the man's injured brain convinced Owen that patient 23 was conscious and able to communicate. It was the first time that anyone had exchanged information with someone in a vegetative state.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2012 12:37 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
He is in another dimension.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds