How Power Corrupts

07 Sep 2012 19:02 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/ ... -corrupts/

"The news abounds with stories of powerful men behaving badly. It’s a depressing yet predictable spectacle — those in positions of power can’t help but help themselves to the help. They scream at underlings and have sex with the secretaries; they assault hotel maids (or at least are accused of such) and sleep with the nanny. The question, of course, is what motivates this awful behavior? Why does power corrupt?

Psychologists refer to this as the paradox of power.".........................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Sep 2012 09:44 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic How Power Corrupts
Interesting. I would think that this argues even more strongly for things like term limits in government. Don't know how to solve the problem of a CEO going off his rocker though.

So what about those in power who don't fall into this trap? What life circumstances or personality traits keep them humble, relating to those "inferior", and not becoming hypocritical, power-abusing jerks? That's what I want to know. I have some ideas, but they are anecdotal and purely subjective. Anyone have any thoughts or read other books/studies on this topic? I'm fascinated and curious now.

As for speeding...who needs a reason other than it's fun! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds