Fearless Felix and the sound barrier

14 Oct 2012 18:18 #11 by ScienceChic
Just over 127,700 feet - about 24.5 miles up. I'm glad they programmed the capsule to come back down, I hope they get good data from this!

Scientific value of the attempt:
http://www.redbullstratos.com/science/s ... ic-values/

My favorite photo of the event:

From The Universe's Facebook Page

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Oct 2012 01:28 #12 by ScienceChic
Felix Baumgartner says thank you and good night by video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=485554631479213

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Oct 2012 07:33 #13 by ScienceChic
Baumgartner's headcam video

Beginning of the jump:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fa1_1350274678

End of the jump:
[youtube:3q18lpia]
[/youtube:3q18lpia]

16 Oct 2013 14:56 #14 by Argyle
Replied by Argyle on topic Fearless Felix and the sound barrier
released a couple of days ago.

[youtube:g0n7vi3o]
[/youtube:g0n7vi3o]

31 Jan 2014 10:51 #15 by ScienceChic
This newly released footage of Felix Baumgartner's space jump is INSANE
Robert T. Gonzalez on io9
1/31/14

You'll want to watch this in full screen, HD, with headphones if you have some on hand. The action starts around the 1:40 mark. Be Advised: The whole video has an understandably vertiginous quality about it, but things get especially intense around the 5:20 mark, where Baumgartner, shortly after breaking the sound barrier, loses control of his free-fall and begins to spin. He manages to stabilize himself, but not before almost passing out. It's a nauseating view, even for armchair-spacejumpers, so be careful not to lose your lunch.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be seeing him in a spin. Absolutely stunning view, they did great capturing it.

[youtube:mu38si5m]
[/youtube:mu38si5m]
GoPro: Red Bull Stratos - The Full Story
Published on Jan 31, 2014

October 14, 2012, Felix Baumgartner ascended 128,100 feet above Earth's surface to the edge of space in a stratospheric balloon. Millions across the globe watched as he opened the door of the capsule, stepped off the platform, and broke the speed of sound while free falling safely back to Earth. Felix set three world records that day—and inspired us all to reach beyond the limits of our own realities, and reimagine our potential to achieve the incredible.

01 Feb 2014 19:23 #16 by Reverend Revelant
reeeccchhh... you owe me a new keyboard.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds