Scientists Successfully Turn Urine Into Brain Cells

10 Dec 2012 15:59 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere... :biggrin:

Scientists Successfully Turn Urine Into Brain Cells
Researchers have found a way to turn urine into brain cells. The technique uses the cells discarded in human waste to form neuron cells.
By Makini Brice | Dec 10, 2012

The technique was successful, and converted the cells into stem cells in just 12 days, half the time that other cells have taken. With some more time, the cells showed the rosette shape customary for neuron cells. The team grew the cells and they turned into fully functional neurons in the laboratory. The technique seems to be quicker, more effective, and hopefully less error-prone than other methods.

Read more at http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/13 ... L5zzoqI.99

The study: http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/vao ... .2283.html
Generation of integration-free neural progenitor cells from cells in human urine

Lihui Wang, Linli Wang, Wenhao Huang, Huanxing Su, Yanting Xue, Zhenghui Su, Baojian Liao, Haitao Wang, Xichen Bao, Dajiang Qin, Jufang He, Wutian Wu, Kwok Fai So, Guangjin Pan, & Duanqing Pei

Nature Methods (2012)
doi:10.1038/nmeth.2283

Received 10 August 2012
Accepted 16 November 2012
Published online 09 December 2012

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Dec 2012 16:54 #2 by otisptoadwater
If only the original Blues Brothers Band could be reassembled...

[youtube:1ng6tyit]
[/youtube:1ng6tyit]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

10 Dec 2012 18:27 #3 by Raees
Think of how many potential brain cells you could get in a bar restroom.

11 Dec 2012 07:11 #4 by Grady
Another scientific breakthrough

The cancer girl cured by the HIV virus: Seven-year-old makes extraordinary recovery after U.S. doctors re-wire her immune system to destroy leukaemia cells Emily had been fighting leukaemia for two years and relapsed twice by spring this year
Her parents put her forward for a clinical trial as it was 'the only option left'
'We had 48 hours to make a decision or Emily could have started having organ failure', father said

Therapy, known as CTL019, used disabled form of HIV to reprogramme her immune system to kill cancer cells

read more here

11 Dec 2012 09:57 #5 by Arlen
I did not think that it was "piss for brains" but rather something else. But maybe this will make a "matching set"?

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds