Gold nanoparticles kill lymphoma without chemotherapy

22 Jan 2013 10:45 #1 by ScienceChic
I love the direction that cancer therapy research has been going the last decade (targeting the tumor cells by starvation - cutting off blood vessel growth, etc), but nanoparticles still give me great pause. I will be interested to see the results of this actually tested in humans; it could very well be toxic, but more or less so than chemotherapy??

Gold nanoparticles show new way to kill lymphoma without chemotherapy
How do you annihilate lymphoma without using any drugs? Starve it to death by depriving it of what appears to be a favorite food: HDL cholesterol.
January 21, 2013

A new study by C. Shad Thaxton, M.D., and Leo I. Gordon, M.D. shows that synthetic HDL nanoparticles killed B-cell lymphoma, the most common form of the disease, in cultured human cells, and inhibited human B-cell lymphoma tumor growth in mice.

The paper will be published Jan. 21 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Read more at: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-01-g ... y.html#jCp

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds