Making teleportation 'fuel-efficient'

27 Jan 2013 14:41 #1 by ScienceChic
Yes, please! :biggrin: :woo hoo:

Making teleportation 'fuel-efficient'
Stephen Pincock
Monday, 21 January 2013

Teleportation, so familiar to science fiction fans, may have come a small step closer thanks to research by a team of physicists in the United Kingdom.

Over the past decade, scientists have shown that the powerful connections generated between particles through the quantum law of 'entanglement' could allow information to be teleported.

Now, PhD student Sergii Strelchuk from the University of Cambridge, and others, have described a scheme that would make such teleportation more practical and efficient.

The paper: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v110/i1/e010505
Generalized Teleportation and Entanglement Recycling
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 010505 (2013) [5 pages]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jan 2013 14:43 #2 by Blazer Bob
I fought it as long as I could but I have to say it. Beam me up Scotty.

27 Jan 2013 14:56 #3 by ScienceChic
LOL! As much as I love driving my car, I love being efficient even more - being able to go anywhere that quickly would be awesome (of course, I'd probably just use that extra time to work more)! :faint:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Jan 2013 15:59 - 27 Jan 2013 16:12 #4 by otisptoadwater

Science Chic wrote: LOL! As much as I love driving my car, I love being efficient even more - being able to go anywhere that quickly would be awesome (of course, I'd probably just use that extra time to work more)! :faint:

I think it would have the opposite effect, people would sleep in and pop in and out of the office to go home, and run errands. I'd like to know that someone worked out the science to prevent more than one object from materializing in the same space at the same time before I'd go around teleporting myself hither and yon.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

27 Jan 2013 16:05 #5 by ScienceChic
Yeah, teleporting into someone else doesn't sound very pleasant. I'm guessing that there'd have to be a transporter device, such as in Star Trek, so you can coordinate/schedule usage between 2 devices and prevent that from happening.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds