Living Bacteria Found Beneath Antarctic Ice

07 Feb 2013 22:47 #1 by Blazer Bob
DISCOVERY SUGGESTS LIFE COULD EXIST ELSEWHERE

By John Johnson, Newser Staff
http://www.newser.com/story/162441/livi ... c-ice.html
Posted Feb 7, 2013 2:33 PM CST

(NEWSER) – Scientists drilled through a half-mile of ice into an Antarctic lake and found what is believed to be a first: live bacteria, reports the New York Times. The discovery is intriguing because if the cells can survive there, they could theoretically survive on a frozen planet somewhere. More research is under way to find out one crucial detail: Where is the bacteria getting its food?

“If it’s just consuming organics carried in from elsewhere"—a melting glacier, for example, "it is of much less interest," explains a NASA scientist. But if the cells are feeding off material that comes from a "local energy source," such as minerals in the continent's rock, that's a different story. Extraterrestrial life would likely have to do the same.

http://www.wissard.org/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Feb 2013 08:43 #2 by ScienceChic
And if life could exist in those harsh, seemingly nutrient-starved conditions, then it's likely they could exist anywhere (like on Venus and Mars and Titan etc etc) - fantastic to consider!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Feb 2013 08:17 #3 by Rockdoc
One of the things I recently learned is that microbes in reducing environments use donor ions for energy by snipping electrons from the outer shell. For example, Uranium in its oxidized state is highly soluble and occurs in various combinations with carbonate radicals in the ocean. Get it on the seafloor a few mm below the sediment water interface and microbe begin stippling a couple of electrons off it for metabolic functions. Simply amazing. There is a zoo of these types of microbes at work everywhere. It is a competitive job. Because different donor ions hold onto their electrons more tightly than others do, not every reducing microbe can use any donor species. Instead they have neat zone arrangements where the most powerful "strippers" occur where the hardest to deal with donors end up. I bet that is quite the act to see Lol. After seeing this and the involvement of microbes in making minerals n all kinds of harsh environments , nothing surprises me. It is only a question of when will we recognize one from an alien world. i'm certain they are out there.

23 Feb 2013 09:04 #4 by FredHayek
Since it looks like life exists in pretty adverse Earth enviroments, would it be ethical to seed neighboring planets with Earth organisms? So far on Mars, we have only found conditions favorable for life, but no real life.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Feb 2013 23:32 #5 by BuyersAgent1
Awesome, thanks for posting!

23 Feb 2013 23:54 #6 by ScienceChic

FredHayek wrote: Since it looks like life exists in pretty adverse Earth enviroments, would it be ethical to seed neighboring planets with Earth organisms? So far on Mars, we have only found conditions favorable for life, but no real life.

It's still early in the search, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any life found. I found an article that quoted a scientist as saying that there simply "couldn't be any life on the surface because of the radiation and freezing temperatures, but there could be some below the surface" - poppycock. That's the definition of extreme environments, who's to say that it couldn't exist on the surface with high radiation and freezing temps?

The First Signs of Ancient Life on Mars?
by Richard A. Kerr on 3 December 2012

As a scientist, I would lament the destruction of native life before we even had a chance to catalog and study it, discover how it's different, and learn more about our own life forms here by comparing them. As a practical realist, if our planet is reaching a point that it is unable to support life as we know it, screw the Martians we're moving in!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Feb 2013 06:15 #7 by FredHayek
I think it will take actual humans on the ground for us to determine if life exists on Mars. Hopefully it isn't that far off.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Feb 2013 09:38 #8 by ScienceChic
That would be cool!

28 Feb 2013 10:35 #9 by Rockdoc
What is seen as harmful radiation by some organism may be the ticket for thriving by others. Think of the hydrothermal vents and the view prior to their discovery of life forms that are dong very well despite not adhering to our preconceived notions of what is suitable environment for life. The problem has log been thinking in terms of our narrow perspective on what constitutes a suitable environment. For that matter what is life? Is there a form of life that does not follow our definition of it?

02 Mar 2013 07:45 #10 by Blazer Bob

Rockdoc wrote: What is seen as harmful radiation by some organism may be the ticket for thriving by others. Think of the hydrothermal vents and the view prior to their discovery of life forms that are dong very well despite not adhering to our preconceived notions of what is suitable environment for life. The problem has log been thinking in terms of our narrow perspective on what constitutes a suitable environment. For that matter what is life? Is there a form of life that does not follow our definition of it?

Indeed. Why not silicon based lifeforms or methane etc. SF is rift with other examples. I think it is SF that has given me a broad non ethnocentric perspective. It is so stupid to divide ourselves along ethnic, racial, religious lines when the universe might be so much bigger.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds