Men's sex chromosome is doomed

05 May 2013 18:59 #1 by ScienceChic
From Science Alert's Facebook Page (Science Alert is part of the Science journal)

The poorly designed Y chromosome that makes men is degrading rapidly and will eventually disappear, according to Jenny Graves, thinker-in-residence at the Institute for Applied Ecology, University of Canberra. Graves has discovered that the Y chromosome has mutated dramatically and lost most of its genes since it evolved, and she believes it will cease to exist within the next five million years. But that doesn't mean men will die out - the Japanese spiny rat has already lost its Y chromosome but still has males.

Read more: http://bit.ly/158KN56 via The Sydney Morning Herald - smh.com.au

Just more proof that men are genetically inferior...You're mutating and can't even hang on to your chromosomes... :Whistle :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 May 2013 19:40 #2 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Men's sex chromosome is doomed
You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Maybe it's time to start acting like it.

Geez...I'm wondering how many of you 285B pandering males will continue to slobber all over stuff like this. Your comments are incredibly insulting.

05 May 2013 19:55 #3 by ScienceChic
Ummm, what? No one's commmented yet.

btw, I was joking as evidenced by the whistling and big grin, and if you read the article, you'd see that it discusses how the Y chromosome will evolve.

Interesting tell you just made on your own motivations there IB. :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 May 2013 06:39 #4 by Nobody that matters
Men are simpler and tend towards self-destruction.

That's news?

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

06 May 2013 09:16 #5 by homeagain

Nobody that matters wrote: Men are simpler and tend towards self-destruction.

That's news?

MANNO.....that's pretty much what my brother says....altho he views the self-destruction part as just living life to it's FULLEST. :biggrin:

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds