carbon nanotube-based catalyst outperforming platinum.

03 Jul 2013 08:25 #1 by Grady

Affordable, scalable process of carbon nanotube-based catalyst outperforming platinum for electric-automobiles
Korean researchers from Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), S. Korea, developed a novel bio-inspired composite electrocatalyst outperforming platinum.
This research work was published on June 25, in the journal Nature Communications.
The research team from UNIST, S. Korea, developed an inexpensive and scalable bio-inspired composite electrocatalyst, iron phthalocyanine with an axial ligand anchored on single-walled carbon nanotubes, demonstrating a higher electrocatalytic activity for oxygen reduction than the state-of-the-art Pt/C catalysts as well as an exceptional durability during cycling in an alkaline media.

Phys.org

Everyday progress is being made. :graduate:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jul 2013 09:27 #2 by ScienceChic
The application potential for carbon nanotubes is so untapped - I'd love to see this become a reality! Having to mine precious metals is not environmentally friendly so reducing their use is a win-win.

Thanks Grady!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds