Proof that Global Warming Won't Raise Ocean Levels

18 Aug 2013 10:24 #1 by BaconLover
Someone offered this up as proof that the melting of the polar caps won't raise ocean levels....

Looks pretty convincing to me...

[youtube:2ofq0deh]
[/youtube:2ofq0deh]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Aug 2013 11:45 #2 by archer
Bad example you have there...... Of course ice floating in water wil not add appreciativel to the water level.... However, ice melting on land (a glacier) flowing onto an ocean, or large ice bergs that have a large mass above the water will raise the level. Have you never dropped an ice cube into a drink and had the glass over flow?

18 Aug 2013 13:23 #3 by Wayne Harrison
It's no surprise that the melting of ice floating in the sea does not raise the sea level. Such floating ice displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Thus the water from the melting ice fits into the space occupied by the ice under the water level. Perhaps low information readers didn't know that and needed YouTube to explain it to them and for that, I am glad the video is there.

That well-known fact doesn't mean the world sea level isn't rising -- just that melting sea ice isn't a contributor. I'm certainly not arguing the cause of the rise is due to man. Whatever the cause doesn't change the fact that the sea level continues to rise.

Not a big deal here in Colorado, but if you are inches or a few feet above sea level, like The Maldives, or U.S. coastal areas, it can be a pretty big deal.

http://bit.ly/17WyioA <-link to Guardian article:

US coastal cities in danger as sea levels rise faster than expected, study warns
Satellite measurements show flooding from storms like Sandy will put low-lying population centres at risk sooner than projected

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds