genomes

18 Sep 2013 22:04 #1 by Blazer Bob
genomes was created by Blazer Bob
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/scien ... ence&_r=1&

From biology class to “C.S.I.,” we are told again and again that our genome is at the heart of our identity. Read the sequences in the chromosomes of a single cell, and learn everything about a person’s genetic information — or, as 23andme, a prominent genetic testing company, says on its Web site, “The more you know about your DNA, the more you know about yourself.”

But scientists are discovering that — to a surprising degree — we contain genetic multitudes. Not long ago, researchers had thought it was rare for the cells in a single healthy person to differ genetically in a significant way. But scientists are finding that it’s quite common for an individual to have multiple genomes. Some people, for example, have groups of cells with mutations that are not found in the rest of the body. Some have genomes that came from other people."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Sep 2013 06:30 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic genomes
THANKS for posting this article......I was aware of the chimera factor,but did not know there
was mosaic factor......THIS data will radically change my view of cancer treatment,I was aware
of focused and specialized dna targeting, but NOW the issue becomes far MORE complex... :smackshead: which confirms my belief that "one size fits all" cancer treatment was archaic and
backward. (I try to stay far,far away from doctors,hospitals,"better living thru chemistry"....)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds