Male contraceptive pill may be possible!

10 Dec 2013 11:53 #1 by ScienceChic
This is a great development, I hope that they are successful in developing an effective and safe drug so another contraceptive option is available to couples.

Sperm 'blocking' method found
Monash University
Tuesday, 03 December 2013

A new male contraceptive could be on the horizon after scientists identified a novel way to block the transport of sperm during ejaculation.

Published in the journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA, scientists have found that complete male infertility could be achieved by blocking two proteins found on the smooth muscle cells that trigger the transport of sperm.

The researchers demonstrated that the absence of two proteins in mouse models, α1A-adrenoceptor and P2X1-purinoceptor, which mediate sperm transport, caused infertility, without effects on long-term sexual behavior or function.

Lead researchers, Dr Sab Ventura and Dr Carl White of the Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, believe the knowledge could be applied to the potential development of a contraceptive pill for men. Dr Ventura said there was already a drug that targets one of the two proteins, but they would have to find a chemical and develop a drug to block the second one.

Original story from Monash University here .

Primary journal article in PNAS: http://www.pnas.org/content/99/26/17173 ... c3ba9f7212
Reversible infertility in male mice after oral administration of alkylated imino sugars: A nonhormonal approach to male contraception
Aarnoud C. van der Spoel, Mylvaganam Jeyakumar, Terry D. Butters, Harry M. Charlton, Harry D. Moore, Raymond A. Dwek, and Frances M. Platt

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Dec 2013 13:11 #2 by FredHayek
Some husbands might get prescriptions to prevent "unwanted" pregnancies.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Dec 2013 16:17 #3 by archer

FredHayek wrote: Some husbands might get prescriptions to prevent "unwanted" pregnancies.

I sincerely hope so. I do wonder how many women will actually trust the man to be responsible for both control.

11 Dec 2013 13:05 #4 by Nobody that matters
I'd put the pills in a dish on my coffee table and eat 'em like dinner mints.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

11 Dec 2013 14:29 #5 by LOL
Just switch back and forth between Boxers and Briefs, simple and safer! LOL

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

11 Dec 2013 14:53 #6 by FredHayek

archer wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Some husbands might get prescriptions to prevent "unwanted" pregnancies.

I sincerely hope so. I do wonder how many women will actually trust the man to be responsible for both control.

:biggrin: One of my cousins married a vary religious man who believed the world was going to end in the next couple years, so he didn't want to bring children into the world if Revelation was coming to pass. And he knew how badly she wanted kids so he refused to sleep with her because he believed she would sabotage the birth control

lol This church moved the end dates out after they realized none of their flock was having kids.
So my cousin now has two lovely kids.

So the male contraceptive pill? They should make it in a liquid form and add it to beer. Then you could count on men taking it

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds