King Tut's Curious Embalming May Point to Religious Struggle

04 Jan 2014 13:26 #1 by ScienceChic
Ancient mythology has fascinated me since I was a child. The more we've studied of ancient cultures, the more intriguing their lives and culture become - I try to imagine what it would've been like to live day-to-day in ancient Egypt, Rome, and Greece and enjoy the creative exercise. New speculation such as this only enriches that trip into time...

King Tut's Mummified Erect Penis May Point to Ancient Religious Struggle
By Owen Jarus, LiveScience Contributor | January 02, 2014

Egypt's King Tutankhamun was embalmed in an unusual way, including having his penis mummified at a 90-degree angle, in an effort to combat a religious revolution unleashed by his father, a new study suggests.

The pharaoh was buried in Egypt's Valley of the Kings without a heart (or a replacement artifact known as a heart scarab); his penis was mummified erect; and his mummy and coffins were covered in a thick layer of black liquid that appear to have resulted in the boy-king catching fire.

The mummified erect penis and other burial anomalies were not accidents during embalming, Ikram suggests, but rather deliberate attempts to make the king appear as Osiris, the god of the underworld, in as literal a way as possible.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jan 2014 20:16 #2 by FredHayek
I read about this back in high school. It is always tempting to think ancient cultures remained static for centuries but they were constantly evolving too in many different ways. Heresies power struggles etc.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Jan 2014 12:47 #3 by ScienceChic
Exactly. It bugs me that even on the National Geographic website page about King Tut, they don't have this information listed. It doesn't help improve the public's understanding, nor foster that idea that historic cultures were dynamic.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds