Inside the World's Quietest Room - No One Lasts

28 Jan 2014 09:25 #1 by ScienceChic
File Attachment:

From Science fact

[youtube:2jit1fke]
[/youtube:2jit1fke]

Published on Apr 5, 2012

An anechoic chamber in Minneapolis's Orfield Laboratory holds the Guinness world record for the world's quietest place at -9.4 decibels. As humans can only detect sounds above 0 decibels, the chamber is virtually soundless. The room consists of a mesh floor, walls lined with meter-long sound-proofing wedges, and a meshed ceiling. People inside the chamber can hear their own stomach, heart, or even ears, as the ear makes its own noise when it does not detect sound. Source: Minnesota Public Radio

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jan 2014 09:30 #2 by FredHayek
I once brought up a city person to South Park for an overnighter and they were unable to sleep because it was just too quiet, no sirens, no car noise. I don't think I could handle the quiet room. Always have to have a radio going.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Jan 2014 09:56 #3 by Blazer Bob
I am sorry but I just cannot help myself.

This reminds me of astronaut testing in the pre or early days of manned space flight. I just do not remember if this was science fiction or science fact that I was reading at the time.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds