Asteroid set for flyby with Earth - tonight - 02-17 7:00pm

17 Feb 2014 22:03 #11 by Blazer Bob

Reverend Revelant wrote: What is CPA?

Sorry. Closest Point of Approach. That is when bearing change rate is maximum and range rate change is minimum. When range is decreasing and bearing rate is zero, it is a collision course.

Otis do you concur? That stuff is getting a little fuzzy in my mind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2014 22:25 #12 by otisptoadwater

BlazerBob wrote:

Sorry. Closest Point of Approach. That is when bearing change rate is maximum and range rate change is minimum. When range is decreasing and bearing rate is zero, it is a collision course.

Agreed: CPA – Closest Point of Approach. The range and bearing to the closest point of another vessel’s passage, relative to your own. In my limited experience the CPA is the measuring stick that the Old Man and his staff use to decide how close is too close; when does the radio warning cease and the shooting start. In the case of a nasty 300 yard wide snow ball from outer space, I'm gonna stick with shoot it down vs. attempting to communicate with it.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

18 Feb 2014 08:13 #13 by Reverend Revelant

BlazerBob wrote:

Ok. That term is not used with astrophysics as far as I know, that's why I didn't recognize it. Although if we really got into the business of shooting them down, or intercepting them, I suppose that term would be used by someone, probably the military guys.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds