Asteroid set for flyby with Earth - tonight - 02-17 7:00pm

17 Feb 2014 14:34 #1 by Reverend Revelant
An asteroid the size of three football fields is set to make a close brush of Earth on Monday (Feb. 17), and you can watch the flyby in a live webcast.

Near-Earth asteroid 2000 EM26 poses no threat of actually hitting the planet, but the online Slooh Space Camera will track the asteroid as it passes by Earth on Monday. The live Slooh webcast will start at 9 p.m. ET (0200 Feb. 18 GMT), and you can also watch the webcast directly through the Slooh website. (You can participate in the broadcast by using the hashtag #asteroid to ask questions during the 2000 EM26 show.)

http://live.slooh.com/

Enjoy the show.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2014 19:03 #2 by Reverend Revelant

17 Feb 2014 19:07 #3 by Reverend Revelant
Ok... all the links seems to be fluggy. Did the asteroid hit earth or something and I missed it?

17 Feb 2014 19:10 #4 by Blazer Bob

Reverend Revelant wrote: Slooh site seems to be overwhelmed

try NASA

http://www.space.com/19195-night-sky-pl ... casts.html

It took me a few attempts but I got into Slooh. They said the observatory they were going to use is frozen shut so they will have a feed from Dubai. Right now they are talking and showing graphs/simulations...

17 Feb 2014 19:15 #5 by Reverend Revelant

17 Feb 2014 19:43 #6 by Blazer Bob
Rev, do you know what time is CPA?

17 Feb 2014 19:50 #7 by Reverend Revelant

17 Feb 2014 19:52 #8 by otisptoadwater
Youtube link is working for me. Got my crash helmet on, freshly lined with lead foil! It'll be cool to watch this hunk of rock and ice zoom by.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Feb 2014 19:55 #9 by Reverend Revelant
Well... it already flew by about 30 minutes ago. Not much to see on the telescope images from Dubia. But the commentary and the look back at the Feb 15th Russian meteor was interesting.

17 Feb 2014 20:05 #10 by otisptoadwater

Reverend Revelant wrote: Well... it already flew by about 30 minutes ago. Not much to see on the telescope images from Dubia. But the commentary and the look back at the Feb 15th Russian meteor was interesting.

Day late and a dollar short... Oh well, I guess it's safe for me to take off my helmet and I guess the fact that we're all on line chatting about it means that the asteroid was a near miss not a hit.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds