Fun With Copper Pipe and Neodymium Magnets

07 May 2014 19:18 #1 by otisptoadwater
[youtube:3bpt4xze]
[/youtube:3bpt4xze]

Extra credit for the kids that can describe what causes the effect between a rare earth magnet and a copper pipe.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2014 20:20 #2 by HEARTLESS
Eddy currents.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

07 May 2014 20:31 #3 by otisptoadwater
I was looking for Lenz's law but close enough, let me know where you'd like me to deliver the wooden nickle.

Meanwhile, here's another interesting demonstration:

[youtube:3spuo7iv]
[/youtube:3spuo7iv]

Kids don't try this at home, this involves electricity and uninsulated wires. Get your crazy Uncle to build one of these for you and let him get electrocuted instead. Or go to a neighbor's house when their Mom and Dad aren't home...

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

07 May 2014 20:34 #4 by HEARTLESS
I have plenty of wooden nickels and knock out plug nickels as well.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

07 May 2014 20:46 #5 by otisptoadwater
One more for your collection:

Might want to sift through what you have, there might be some counterfeits in there...

08 May 2014 09:05 #6 by ScienceChic
LOL Hubby admonishes the kids "not to take any wooden nickels" on their way out the door to school. Sometimes they beat him to the punch and tell him they won't before he even utters a word. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. :LMAO:

Thank you for the warning on the video otis, crazy uncles are much more expendable. :tongue:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds