Scientists Find Fasting Triggers Stem Cells, Fights Cancer

24 Jun 2014 10:29 #1 by ScienceChic
Fasting (in the form of caloric intake restriction anyway) has been implicated in extending life span, so I'm not surprised that it would help the immune system as well. It's certainly been proven that eating in excess causes obesity, diabetes, heart disease, metabolic disorders, etc; I'd love to see more population-based studies discovering if the converse is equally responsible for eliminating the same and proactively doing even more. This one study here is heartening.

Scientists Discover That Fasting Triggers Stem Cell Regeneration & Fights Cancer
by Arjun Walia
June 22, 2014

A number of ancient health practices are proving to be effective in multiple ways. We recently posted an article about meditation, and how neuroscience can now explain what happens to the brain when we meditate. Now, scientists have discovered the first evidence of a natural intervention triggering stem cell-based regeneration of an organ or system. The study was published in the June 5 issue of Cell Stem Cell by researchers from the University of Southern California. The research shows that cycles of prolonged fasting protect against immune system damage and induce immune system regeneration. They concluded that fasting shifts stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal.

USC Press Release: https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-trig ... ne-system/

Cell Stem Cell article: http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/abst ... %2900151-9

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds