Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science?

08 Feb 2015 16:51 #1 by ScienceChic
"Science appeals to our rational brain, but our beliefs are motivated largely by emotion, and the biggest motivation is remaining tight with our peers. "We’re all in high school. We’ve never left high school,” says Marcia McNutt. “People still have a need to fit in, and that need to fit in is so strong that local values and local opinions are always trumping science. And they will continue to trump science, especially when there is no clear downside to ignoring science.”

That explanation right there sums up all of the data showing that trying to explain with additional facts, no matter how credible, verified, and trustworthy, people will continue to hold to their beliefs because it's not appealing to them to break with the tribe/group with whom they identify that believes otherwise. And that's a hard thing for scientists to comprehend and adjust to, because scientists are wired to rationally examine the facts, and repeat the experiments to see if it's reproduceable - the gold standard in acceptance.

This article is on the longer side, but absolutely worth the time to read and digest.

Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science?
We live in an age when all manner of scientific knowledge—from climate change to vaccinations—faces furious opposition.
Some even have doubts about the moon landing.

By Joel Achenbach
Photographs by Richard Barnes

In this bewildering world we have to decide what to believe and how to act on that. In principle that’s what science is for. “Science is not a body of facts,” says geophysicist Marcia McNutt, who once headed the U.S. Geological Survey and is now editor of Science, the prestigious journal. “Science is a method for deciding whether what we choose to believe has a basis in the laws of nature or not.”

We have trouble digesting randomness; our brains crave pattern and meaning. Science warns us, however, that we can deceive ourselves. To be confident there’s a causal connection between the dump and the cancers, you need statistical analysis showing that there are many more cancers than would be expected randomly, evidence that the victims were exposed to chemicals from the dump, and evidence that the chemicals really can cause cancer.

Americans fall into two basic camps, Kahan says. Those with a more “egalitarian” and “communitarian” mind-set are generally suspicious of industry and apt to think it’s up to something dangerous that calls for government regulation; they’re likely to see the risks of climate change. In contrast, people with a “hierarchical” and “individualistic” mind-set respect leaders of industry and don’t like government interfering in their affairs; they’re apt to reject warnings about climate change, because they know what accepting them could lead to—some kind of tax or regulation to limit emissions.

In the U.S., climate change somehow has become a litmus test that identifies you as belonging to one or the other of these two antagonistic tribes. When we argue about it, Kahan says, we’re actually arguing about who we are, what our crowd is. We’re thinking, People like us believe this. People like that do not believe this. For a hierarchical individualist, Kahan says, it’s not irrational to reject established climate science: Accepting it wouldn’t change the world, but it might get him thrown out of his tribe.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Feb 2015 18:06 #2 by FredHayek
:groundhog: Because the press tells us one thing and then the opposite a month later? Especially what is healthy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Feb 2015 18:10 #3 by HEARTLESS
Ever since scientists made the world round, they can't be trusted. :whistle:

On a more serious note, I'm skeptical of all information, especially anything that is said to be indisputable. Agendas of those controlling the purse strings have entered all aspects of life and should be questioned.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Feb 2015 19:09 #4 by otisptoadwater
I think you'd be hard pressed to find an example as glaring as this one:

I also think that all of the FDA, CDC, WHO advisories on what's dangerous aren't helping; eggs, butter, and whole milk are suddenly good for you again after years of conflicting news.

It's bad enough that the Gubment is publishing warnings left and right, now the collective "we" aren't smart enough to know that there are behaviors we shouldn't behave in so laws are being put in place to save us from ourselves. I wan to live in a country where I can roll out of bed and have a milkshake, fries (fried in oil full of trans-fats) and a tripple cheese burger if I want to. Those who lack the God given common sense to know better deserve what they have coming to them.

:missing:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

08 Feb 2015 20:04 #5 by HappyCamper
Well, I guess I doubt science a bit I will not give my dogs heart worm but do natural prevention but I have one dog that does not deal with the heart worm medicine well.

Sometimes I think that some of the drug people influence things.

I do not have kids but if I did I would vaccinate them my dogs get their vaccines each year and with rabies I do the 3 year shot.

09 Feb 2015 06:51 #6 by Nobody that matters
People doubt science because of all the false 'science' being published. Everyone playing with acronyms to make their findings sound more official, getting Doctors to back their claims, widespread public release before peer reviews, shoddy science being quote ad nauseum on the internet...

People don't trust science because science is packed with B@#$$#$t.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Feb 2015 10:01 #7 by homeagain
Neil deGrasse Tyson would probably like to have a conversation with you. ACTUALLY, people are
packed with BS...."the good thing about science is that it's TRUE,whether or not you believe in it."

09 Feb 2015 10:30 #8 by Nobody that matters

homeagain wrote: Neil deGrasse Tyson would probably like to have a conversation with you. ACTUALLY, people are
packed with BS...."the good thing about science is that it's TRUE,whether or not you believe in it."

I guess I should rephrase that, since I have no problem believing real science.

People claiming to be scientists in order to hawk some crackpot product or theory that has no backing by the commonly accepted scientific method are packed with BS and are tarnishing the reputation of real science.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Feb 2015 10:39 #9 by FredHayek
The Daily Beast is reporting 97% of the flu shots in Britain aren't effective against the current strain.
Once again science looks like they made a bad guess.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Feb 2015 12:17 #10 by HEARTLESS

homeagain wrote: Neil deGrasse Tyson would probably like to have a conversation with you. ACTUALLY, people are

I don't agree, facts are true, theory is unproven and science can be any of the previous.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds