Mars Opportunity Rover Mission Declared Officially Complete

13 Feb 2019 12:36 #1 by ScienceChic
Opportunity's last message in June 2018 was, basically, "My battery is low and it's getting dark." There was an epic world-wide dust storm that blocked the sun, and Opportunity from recharging its power with its solar panels. Engineers kept attempting to contact the rover in the hopes that once the dust cleared it would be able to warm back up and begin moving again; alas, it did not.

Today NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory declared the mission complete for Mars Opportunity rover. What was supposed to be a 90 day mission lasted 14.5 years far exceeding expectations! It is a huge testament to human engineering, curiosity, perseverance, and skill.

While it may be the end for the Opportunity, it's but the next step in future exploration!
Live conference announcing the end of the mission and recapping the history of the project:

www.facebook.com/CBSDenver/videos/240030...1¬if_t=live_video

Press Release
Six Things to Know About NASA's Opportunity Mars Rover
Taking a Look Back at Opportunity's Record-Setting Mission

Twitter thread by Jacob Margolis

Sad news. Mars rover #Opportunity is probably done. Sometime tonight, a team @NASAJPL will make their final attempt to contact #Oppy. If they can't, they'll likely call the mission. Here's what happened... 1/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Feb 2019 13:51 #2 by homeagain
Can't believe I teared up …...what a great post.....THANKS
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds