Katherine Johnson, NASA Mathematician, Inspiration For 'Hidden Figures,' Dies

24 Feb 2020 12:04 #1 by ScienceChic
Rest in peace dear Lady. Your light, your grace, and your intelligence will be deeply missed from our world, which you changed for the better.

"Let me do it. You tell me when you want it and where you want it to land, and I'll do it backwards and tell you when to take off."

"We will always have STEM with us. Some things will drop out of the public eye and will go away, but there will always be science, engineering, and technology. And there will always, always be mathematics."

"Take all the courses in your curriculum. Do the research. Ask questions. Find someone doing what you are interested in! Be curious!"

"I don't have a feeling of inferiority. Never had. I'm as good as anybody, but no better."
~Katherine Johnson

Katherine Johnson, NASA Mathematician And An Inspiration For 'Hidden Figures,' Dies
Russell Lewis, NPR | February 24, 202010:22 AM ET

Katherine Johnson, a mathematician who was one of NASA's human "computers" and an unsung hero of the space agency's early days, died Monday. She calculated the flight path for America's first space mission and the first moon landing, and was among the women profiled in the book and movie Hidden Figures. She was 101.

Her death was announced by NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine.

"The NASA family will never forget Katherine Johnson's courage and the milestones we could not have reached without her," Bridenstine wrote on Twitter. "Her story and her grace continue to inspire the world."

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2020 12:15 #2 by homeagain
BEST movie.....it took a VERY long time for NASA to honor her properly...a building in her namesake IN 2017 AND A PRESIDENT HONOR AWARD in 2015....great give back.altho a little late.

25 Feb 2020 18:32 #3 by ScienceChic
She had quite a life. I loved the descriptions of her being "assertive, curious, and not afraid to speak up."

Katherine G. Johnson Biography
Original: Oct 10, 2016, Updated: Feb 24, 2020

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds