WHAT IS SCIENCE

17 Oct 2020 09:06 #1 by ramage
WHAT IS SCIENCE was created by ramage
The following two comments are in response to an article in the WSJ. Matt Ridley’s essay “What the Pandemic Has Taught Us About Science” (Review, Oct. 10).

The WSJ article may be behind a firewall, unfortunately.

I found these comments well worth reading, they do not dispute the Ridley's essay, but, in my opinion, give an interesting short take on science.

JONATHAN SHIRLEYSUBSCRIBER
8 hours ago
The contention that the double blind randomized trial is the “gold standard” is ludicrous. True scientists are empiricist. They observe phenomena, apply their reasoning and learning to abstract hypothesis, then test them Double blind studies are only one form of test, a form limited by ethical rules, and of limited utility. They are dominated by statistical analysis, vulnerable to all statistical flaws, errors and manipulation (I.e. Vioxx). They produce a result that is a mere measure of central tendency, a mean, and a score of dispersion. Their validity is a probability ( a “p” score). But most imp, they tell us nothing about an effect on a person. All the variation in individuals is “presumed” cancelled out by a large sample. They produce “Mean Medicine.”
and Drs become bureaucrats, mere algorithms, that dutifully treat the hypothetical mean.

Most “scientists” are bureaucrats with a science degree. They have the empirical skills of a rock, or a j
John SegalSUBSCRIBER
15 hours ago
'What is truth said jesting Pilate and did not stay for an answer'. Similarly, what is science? Science is gathering data, analyzing it and coming up with a hypothesis. Then, measuring the hypothesis against newer data. Repeat until newer data does not change the interpretation. Expecting the first data to provide the 'final solution' would be wonderful; but, it almost never happens and should not be expected. Initial data almost never provides a perfect answer to a complex problem - there are too many variables which may not appear meaningful until much more data has been collected.
Damning a politician for not having the ideal solution early in the process is like blaming a blind man for not seeing the thief steal from the till.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds