Compassion Begins at Home

05 May 2015 13:53 #1 by janimccarty
"It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start."
~ Mother Teresa

The front page of The Denver Post showcased both the terrible unrest in Baltimore and the philosophical debate of the horrific massacre in a Colorado Theatre. As I shielded myself from reading further, my heart sank and again I searched for some understanding in all this insanity. Then in the next moment, I experienced great sorrow for the devastation and loss in Nepal from the earthquake.

Being aware and trying to process this heavy, tragic energy made me feel overwhelmed and powerless. I’ve learned feeling this way creates an illusion of being separate and lost without direction. What can I do? How can I help or support those hurting?

Compassion is defined as empathy, tolerance, kindness ~ Love. Whenever I bring my focus back to the present, my ability to feel, express and be compassionate strengthens. The path for my contribution narrows and becomes clear.

The quote from Mother Teresa reminded me that empathizing and practicing tolerance and kindness appears easier with the strangers of world. I can look past the pain and loss of the real relationships I have with my family, friends, and community.

Today I can take a personal inventory of sorts. I can choose to see who in my family is hungry, lonely or suffering. Today I can refocus my attention, time, and compassion by bringing my Love home. When I take that one small action and seize the opportunity to express kindness and empathy in the here and now, my heart breaks open and sings its song!

Ponder This:

Take a moment to really look at your Life and the people in it.

1) Which loved one could be healed just by expressing your compassion?

2) What is one small way you could express your compassion to that loved one?

Share the results of your compassion over on the blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds