Where Have Our Traditional Family Values in The Outdoors Gone?

31 May 2022 15:34 #1 by DrMike
Where Have Our Traditional Family Values in The Outdoors Gone? By Dr. Michael Brooks

So many kids today are missing out on the incredible adventures that can be found in the great outdoors. They’re not exploring woodlots, pastures, lakes, and streams. They’re not experiencing wildlife, vegetation, campfires, and the smell of spring growth or fall leaves. Instead, they’re more likely to be found glued to their screens.

But there was a time, not very long ago, when things were totally different. Back then, we learned how to hunt and fish from our dads and grandpas, and their skills and knowledge were passed down from generation to generation. We spent a lot of our time outdoors with our families. That's just the way it was.
I'm not saying that doesn't still happen, but here's a fact that we hunters should be aware of: fewer Americans are taking up hunting every year, a trend that has wildlife agencies across the country looking for new ways to fund conservation. So, how do we bring back the enthusiasm for adult and youth hunters? Should we, as hunters and outdoor enthusiasts, be recruiting youth and adults? Of course we should!
I’ve always loved the outdoors and had a great passion for hunting. But I will never forget the moment when I realized that hunting, and the great outdoors, are really about so much more.

One year after I moved to Colorado, I wanted to do something different with my deer hunting friends from Minnesota and Wisconsin. I wanted them to try an elk hunt out west. I asked ten guys to go, and all said yes! So, I got all the gear we needed to put on a Colorado elk hunt, they drove out together and met me in Denver, and we headed to the White River National Forest near Carbondale, Colorado.

The first night, as we sat around a crackling campfire deep in the Colorado Rockies, our conversation about elk hunting quickly turned into a deep discussion about our families, jobs, and the many different issues waiting for us at home. At first, I was surprised that the conversation wasn't centered around hunting. But then I realized, while hunting is a great getaway, it's only for a short period of time. We still have to live in the real world for the rest of the year.

In my opinion, there are many ways we can be successful as deer and elk hunters, and they don’t necessarily have anything to do with how big our animal is. Who we are when people aren't looking? Do we put our spouse and kids first or our hunting friends? Do we keep the promises we made with our spouse or kids? Or do we put hunting ahead of our families or children when they need us? Trust me when I say I’m not preaching at you. I'm pointing my finger at myself and have been guilty of neglecting my family.

But during that hunting trip in Colorado many years ago, I realized something. Many of us are desperately in need of a healthy group of friends that have the same goals of God, family, and the great outdoors, as we do. This realization led me to start a group called COFA - Christian Outdoor Fellowship of America. COFA aims to not only get men, women, and their families into the outdoors but to also get them into a like-minded community.

COFA is not a church; we are a faith-based ministry that supports local churches and communities across the country. We gather men, women, and their families together through outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, target shooting (archery, guns), meat smoking, ATVing, dutch oven cooking, and so much more. And we provide a safe, fun, and welcoming environment for all.

We host local classes and events throughout the year, as well as several large national events. Some of these include: a men's and women's elk/deer hunt in Ridgway, Colorado, in late October; a National ATV ride in Ouray, Colorado, in mid-July; a fishcamp in Bemidji in mid-September (this is one of our most popular events because you get individual cabins and your meals); and a Free Kids Paper turkey target shoot in mid-November. For more information on any of these events, please check out our webpage at cofausa.org. We would love for you to join us!

And if you're interested in starting a COFA group in your church or community, or would like more information about us and what we do, we would love to hear from you. You can reach me by phone at 303.880.9878 or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; our Women’s Outreach Director, Leslie, is also here to help! She can be reached by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by phone at 303.909.3707. We would love to connect with you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds