watch out for malware!

18 Nov 2013 11:12 #1 by bailey bud
Well --- first time in about 2 years ---- but a computer in our home got hit by Artemis.

Artemis is really a DNS hijack - which starts re-directing web pages and loading potentially unwanted software.

One thing I noticed is that this particular version loaded itself into google drive - and spread spread itself to a second machine. (the cloud is not as secure as you might imagine).

I suspect Artemis was simply the mechanism that allowed other malware to load - and that the malware did the spreading

In any event - spent 3 hours yesterday cleaning up computers ---- AND caught it trying to revive itself this morning.

Our computers aren't totally locked down, but I would consider them reasonably secure.

This bug has me re-thinking things, though.

The IT staff at work reports there's a version that moves data to a cloud location AND encrypts the data (effectively ransoming the data).

In any event - WATCH WHERE YOU SURF.

Am fairly certain this particular version jumped onto the first machine with a kid looking for cute wall paper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Apr 2016 18:16 #2 by YourComputerCompanion
Have you tried the Malware Bytes product: anti-malware. I think it is probably one of the best out there. I know it beat AVG and found infections that AVG didn't find.

Didn't know if you need it , but just thought I would mention it.

Bob Glassman
Your Computer Companion
Computer Consulting & Support Services
We are there when you need us!
Address: 13700 US Highway 285 #108 Pine, CO 80470
Phone: 303-330-0252 Office
Phone: 303-941-7142 Mobile
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, JMC

14 Apr 2016 08:32 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic watch out for malware!
I think I remember reading not too long ago that the first virus aimed at Apple mobile devices had arrived, is that right? Aside from only downloading apps from the Apple Store, what can we do to keep our devices as safe as possible?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Apr 2016 16:20 #4 by YourComputerCompanion
Install virus and malware protection software that is web aware and intercepts downloads and identifies them as containing either malware, viruses, spyware, or all three. Some good suggestions include:

Avast
AVG
Malware Bytes anti-malware

If you are a comcast home user, you can get Norton Antivirus from them. But, I personally don't use it anymore.

And most importantly, make sure you have good full systems backups that you update frequently. That is critical. Not just a data backup to the cloud or a usb drive, etc. But a full disaster recover plan for your computer.

Bob Glassman
Your Computer Companion
Computer Consulting & Support Services
We are there when you need us!
Address: 13700 US Highway 285 #108 Pine, CO 80470
Phone: 303-330-0252 Office
Phone: 303-941-7142 Mobile
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds