Adios Windows XP

08 Apr 2014 05:23 - 08 Apr 2014 19:02 #1 by LOL
Adios Windows XP was created by LOL
:Megaphone:

That's It! Turn off your XP computers today. 4-8-2014

RIP XP, the last decent MS operating system.

Written on an illegal obsolete, no-script, no flash XP computer, :Scared:

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Apr 2014 18:02 #2 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Adios Windows XP
Windows 3.1 anyone? DOS? LOL

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Apr 2014 18:25 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Adios Windows XP
TREE

08 Apr 2014 18:44 #4 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Adios Windows XP
RIP Windows XP. It was a good run while it lasted. I'm torn between Windows 8.1 (and all of the new hardware I'm going to have to buy) or learning a version of Linux. Free is my favorite price but I'm not sure I'm ready to surrender my free time to learn how to install and use the latest versions of a Linux OS.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

08 Apr 2014 18:57 #5 by LOL
Might be time for me to learn Linux. I used Unix on Sun workstations once, but it was awhile ago.

I was just checking out Windoze 7 Laptops on Amazon, better get one before they are gone?

08 Apr 2014 19:04 #6 by LOL

LOL wrote: Windows 3.1 anyone? DOS? LOL

Binary? HEX? Assembly language?

Fortran?

08 Apr 2014 19:07 #7 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Adios Windows XP
I was thinking the same thing LOL, the free OS's that you can get for the time it takes to download them comes with a learning curve. Windows 7 is available but why go there when Windows 8.1 is available for almost the same price?

Linux OS's like Fedora and Ubuntu are free and lightweight so if you are willing to learn the ins and outs you can keep the hardware you have and see how much faster a lightweight OS really is. The trick is the learning curve.

On the other hand, we all know how Windows works and new versions of the OS look and feel close enough to the old ones that you don't need to spend a lot of time to learn the differences and new features. The down side is that a new Windows OS costs money.

The classic problem; time vs. money.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

14 Apr 2014 05:52 #8 by LOL
Even the good ol IRS is still using XP computers. LOL No worries, I trust em! :)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... source=toc

"According to the IRS, it has approximately 110,000 Windows-powered desktops and notebooks. Of those, 52,000, or about 47%, have been upgraded to Windows 7. The remainder continue to run the aged, now retired, XP"

13 Apr 2016 18:12 #9 by YourComputerCompanion
Unless you need touchscreen, or you are going to change over to a Mac (I work with both in my business), I think WIndows 7 is the best option right now to buy some time.. 8.x is a game changer for sure and so is 10. Not my cup of tea. Microsoft is getting too intrusive in my opinion.

Linux is a good option but, if you have no Unix/Linux experience, you may need to take a little primer anyway. You may be able to get away with just using a PD shell windowed environment for linux.. Many of them are pretty robust.

But, if you have specialized Apps that are not supported, that is out. If you want to stick with a Windows OS, you can always replace the shell with something aftermarket, if you don't like the default (explorer). The following is a link to a review of shell products available:

www.online-tech-tips.com/software-review...eplacement-programs/

There are many more of course such as classic shell: www.classicshell.net/ ..

You may like one of those above. You have alot of choices out there. This of course is not all inclusive of what is available.

Bob Glassman
Your Computer Companion
Computer Consulting & Support Services
We are there when you need us!
Address: 13700 US Highway 285 #108 Pine, CO 80470
Phone: 303-330-0252 Office
Phone: 303-941-7142 Mobile
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds