USDA changes guidelines for cooking pork

25 May 2011 08:25 #1 by CinnamonGirl
USDA changes guidelines for cooking pork was created by CinnamonGirl
http://www.latimes.com/health/chi-usda- ... 5896.story

Finally, the government agrees that pig should be pink. On the inside, at least.

New guidelines released Tuesday by the USDA – just in time for the Memorial Day kickoff of grilling season – recommend that pork be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees, 15 degrees cooler than the previous standard.

“Our consumer research has consistently shown that Americans have a tendency to overcook common cuts of pork, resulting in a less-than-optimal eating experience,” said Pamela Johnson, director of consumer communications for the National Pork Board. “The new guidelines will help consumers enjoy pork at its most flavorful, juicy – and safe – temperature.”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2011 08:27 #2 by Dilbert
I'm not so sure that I want my wife to cook pork to be pink inside - I'll take it overcooked any day! It's hard to break old habits but pink in the middle pork? Can't do it. Call me old and set in my ways but that's how I'm going to stay :bash

25 May 2011 09:24 #3 by Grady

CinnamonGirl wrote: www.latimes.com/health/chi-usda-changes-...0524,0,6125896.story

Finally, the government agrees that pig should be pink. On the inside, at least.

New guidelines released Tuesday by the USDA – just in time for the Memorial Day kickoff of grilling season – recommend that pork be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees, 15 degrees cooler than the previous standard.

“Our consumer research has consistently shown that Americans have a tendency to overcook common cuts of pork, resulting in a less-than-optimal eating experience,” said Pamela Johnson, director of consumer communications for the National Pork Board. “The new guidelines will help consumers enjoy pork at its most flavorful, juicy – and safe – temperature.”

About time

25 May 2011 09:43 #4 by Nobody that matters
I won't eat it unless it's cooked through. Same with beef and chicken.
The USDA can lower their standards, but I see no reason to lower mine.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

25 May 2011 10:03 #5 by major bean
Too many parasites in pork. Trichinae requires high temparatures. There is no way I would eat pink (read: "raw") pork. And maybe high temperatures might also change the chemical composition of all of the "medicines" given to commercially raised meat so that I would not have to start wearing a woman's bra.

Regards,
Major Bean

25 May 2011 12:43 #6 by Grady
from the CDC site
In the United States, trichinellosis cases are reported to CDC much less commonly now than in the past (Figure 1). During the late 1940s, when the U.S. Public Health Service began counting cases of trichinellosis, 400 cases in the United States were recorded each year on average. During 2002-2007, 11 cases were reported to CDC each year on average. The overall number of cases reported has decreased because of improved pig-raising practices in the pork industry, commercial and home freezing of pork, and public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked meat products. The number of cases associated with raw or undercooked wild game meats has remained relatively constant over time (Figure 2). Over the past forty years, few cases of trichinellosis have been reported in the United States, and the risk of trichinellosis from commercially raised and properly prepared pork is very low. However, eating undercooked wild game, particularly bear meat, puts one at risk for acquiring this disease.

CDC site

Commericaly produced pork I'd eat pink, feral pig, or bear I'd cook to well done.

25 May 2011 12:48 #7 by archer
I have to agree with the article, pork that is slightly pink on the inside is jucier, more tender, and just tastes better than well done. But I like most meat medium rare, especially beef. The only meat I don't like pink at all is chicken.....

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds