How to cook?

06 Jun 2011 19:02 #1 by V_A
How to cook? was created by V_A
A friend gave me some fresh horse nuts, does anyone know they best way to cook them or should I just throw them out for the wildlife to eat?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2011 20:32 #2 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic How to cook?
Horse nuts?! No thanks! If you was working with bull's balls you would want to do this:

Preparation

1. Cut the muscle off two pounds of bull testicles with a very sharp knife and remove the skin.

2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3/4 cup kosher salt and dissolve the mixture in eight cups of water. Add the rocky mountain oysters. Make sure there is enough water to cover the oysters completely.

3. Cover your container and let set for one hour. Drain the water, then use cold water to rinse the oysters.

4. Rinse the bowl thoroughly. Put the oysters back into the bowl and fill with enough milk to completely cover them again. Cover your container again and let set for another hour on the counter.

5. Drain and rinse the oysters very well under cool water. Drawing out the blood is very important and the previous steps do just that. The milk assists in making the oysters less salty.

Cook

1. Place rocky mountain oysters in a large pot to be cooked. Add enough water to completely cover the oysters and one heaping teaspoon of white vinegar.

2. Boil, reducing heat immediately after boil starts and simmer for six minutes. Cook on low heat, simmering, for six minutes.

3. Drain the water and vinegar and drop the cooked rocky mountain oysters in a big bowl of ice-cold water. Let cool completely.

4. Cut oysters in 1/3-inch ovals. Dust each oval with salt and pepper to taste on each side.

5. Pour one cup of milk into a shallow bowl. In two separate shallow bowls mix in hot sauce to taste and one cup of dry red wine in one and in the other mix 1/4 cup of cornmeal, one cup all-purpose flour and garlic powder to taste.

6. Quickly, roll each of the oysters slices in the flour mixture, then milk, then flour again, then plunge into red wine mixture. For a thicker crust, repeat, if desired.

7. Use hot peanut oil to fry the oysters until golden brown. Be very cautious as you do not want to overcook the oysters as this will make them tougher. Serve hot.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

14 Jun 2011 10:57 #3 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic How to cook?
I used the above recipe and they were fabulous

14 Jun 2011 20:43 #4 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic How to cook?

X_P wrote: I used the above recipe and they were fabulous

Glad to hear it but I guess I respect horses more than bulls and steers. The couple stallions I have owned in my lifetime would never have suffered such a fate, I loved them as much as my dogs.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds