Box wine loses stigma

17 Jun 2010 16:49 #1 by Biggie
Box wine loses stigma was created by Biggie

Box wine loses stigma

Box wine is in your future.

It used to be that box wine was just that inexpensive “blush” wine for grandma. Not anymore. The quality of box wine is now on par with wine out of a bottle. There are all sorts of reasons for this, like the box itself is so much cheaper to package and ship. (According to the website [url=https://www.about boxedwine.com]BoxedWine.com[/img], boxed wine uses 91% less packaging materials.) But the main reason it is now the fastest growing segment in the wine industry is because it just makes sense. A box wine will last four weeks or more after being opened because the bag in the box acts as a vacuum not allowing the wine to oxidize compared to a bottle of wine that will last only a day or two after opening. Then there is the value. Each three liter box is equivalent to four bottles of wine and with the average price being in the $20 range its only $5 a bottle.
In Australia, the subject is no longer even news. More than 50 percent of all wine consumed in that country is from boxes and has been for years. In Sweden, it's more than 60 percent and the wine-snooty United Kingdom is fast approaching those numbers. Even (gasp!) the French have embraced the concept.
Here is the real interesting part. The folks who produce the majority of all box wine containers (the Scholle Company) claim they are getting close to making a perfect vacuum seal. If they accomplish this, wines in a box could be kept indefinitely, which opens up entirely new possibilities for even the finest quality wines….
So for all you purists out there, learn to embrace the box.

Jon Guelzow

Jon is the owner of Biggie Liquors the largest provider of wine, beer and spirits along the 285 corridor. Best prices, best selection and knowledgeable staff. Come on by and see us!

Biggie Wine and Liquors
We are in King Soopers Shopping Center
File Attachment:

Any questions about wine, beer or spirits for Jon, email . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2011 02:40 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Box wine loses stigma
Here are some box wines rated the best by Real Simple!

http://www.realsimple.com/magazine-more ... index.html
The Best Boxed Wines
By Jessica Shapiro and Lindsay Funston

I've had the Pepperwood Grove wine before (from the bottle, not the box) and recommend it if you're looking for an inexpensive, yet decent wine!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Aug 2011 06:37 #3 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Box wine loses stigma
I've had that pepperwood grove box....not too shabby! Never had the climber though...that one reminds me of a Capri Sun (for adults of course)!

What box wines do you carry Biggies? I know...I could look on the shelf, but it might be good for other here!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

10 Aug 2011 22:14 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Box wine loses stigma
Does it really matter if it comes out of a box or a bottle?

11 Aug 2011 06:27 #5 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Box wine loses stigma

CinnamonGirl wrote: Does it really matter if it comes out of a box or a bottle?

I don't think so....if they are kept at the proper temp. Most boxes I see are in the fridge.....little too chilly for reds IMHO. (or on top of the fridge, which is WAY too hot!)

I think the box makes people drink more though....harder to judge what they have had.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

11 Aug 2011 08:16 #6 by CinnamonGirl
So really it is that the box makes people store them in the wrong place. :)

11 Aug 2011 08:23 #7 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Box wine loses stigma
I think that generally, lots of people store wine in the wrong place.

11 Aug 2011 10:19 #8 by CinnamonGirl
I have.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds