July 4 Barbecue From America's Melting Pot

29 Jun 2011 23:07 #1 by ScienceChic
What will you be making?

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/29/137472461 ... c=fb&cc=fp
July 4 Barbecue From America's Melting Pot
by Michele Kayal
June 29, 2011

My grandfather came to the U.S. from Syria in 1914, and like most immigrants, he became a proud American. He learned English. He watched the news. He voted. He saluted the flag. And on the Fourth of July, he did what every good American does: He fired up the grill.

Independence Day is the biggest grilling day of the year, according to the Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association, and burgers are the most popular meal.

On the Fourth of July, America's melting pot becomes a red-hot grill. Korean-Americans might lay down salty-sweet kalbi, beef short ribs seasoned with sesame and eaten in a lettuce wrap. Japanese families might serve up yakitori, dainty skewered bits of chicken liver, pork belly, shishito peppers, shiitake mushrooms or prawns with the head on. And a mixed grill from Latin America could be Argentine steak with bacon and eggs, Uruguayan Pamplona — chicken breast stuffed with ham, cheese and peppers — or sensual Peruvian chicken marinated in cumin, garlic and yellow chilies.

All over the world, people have been grilling since they discovered fire, and when they came to the United States they brought their signature flavors with them. Many of these flavors have, of course, made their way into American barbecue traditions.

Get recipes for Giddau's Kebab (Lambburgers), Nandini's Terrific Tandoori Salmon, Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs), Classic Yakitori and (above) Grilled Clams And Chorizo (Curanto Al Disco).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2011 13:31 #2 by ScienceChic
http://www.grist.org/article/food-savor ... revolution
Savory fruit salads are a 4th of July taste revolution
by April McGreger
2 Jul 2010

We all know the 4th of July routine: fireworks, grilling, and all-American pies for dessert. But unlike Thanksgiving, no side dishes traditionally stand out. This year, don't get stuck eating potato salad or tri-color pasta from plastic deli containers. Instead, give fruit salads a chance to redeem themselves.

Forget that big heaping bowl of generic, soulless, supermarket fruit that you pass right over at potlucks. If fruit salad to you seems more like a lackluster dessert or brunch dish than a smashing summer side, let me assure you that you just haven't met these fruit salads -- savory combinations that will charm your tastebuds.

Though Americans have been slow to discover how the sweetness and tartness of fruit is heightened in contrast to pepper, vinegar, and salt, why waste another day? These recipes come from one of my favorite people, Bill Smith , chef of Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and the author of the charming cookbook, Seasoned in the South .

(see link for recipes, and variations on the recipes!)

Top left: Bill Smith's Tomato & Watermelon Salad
Bottom right: Bill Smith's Green Peach Salad with Black Pepper & Mint

One of my favorite cookbooks is Luscious Berry Desserts by Lori Longbotham. She's got a recipe for Strawberries with balsamic vinegar that I've been too timid to try yet, but it sounded intriguing, and falls in line with the idea of the recipes above. Maybe it's time to be adventuresome! The description on the recipe says:

"As though they had been penetrated by the most ardent of summer suns". Served at room temp, this is lovely on its own, as part of a shortcake, or over gelato.

Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar
1 pint small ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered
2T packed light brown sugar
2tsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of finely grated lemon zest
pinch of freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Let sit for 15min to release the berry juices.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Jul 2011 17:19 #3 by JMC
Ribs, slaw and corn, all on my green egg( cept the slaw)

03 Jul 2011 17:29 #4 by otisptoadwater
Going to my little brother's for an early supper. I'm bringing the Porterhouse steaks, brats, burgers, and the corn on the cob, he's supplying the barbecued chicken and baked beans. The little brother's wife will have all the snacks and cold salads under control. As usual I'll be the one who runs the grill but that's ok, they keep me fully supplied with snacks and beer while I cook. If this event was at my place we'd also have ice cream in a bag but it's too much to prepare and haul enough down to Littleton, if everyone shows up that was invited there will be 20 people and four mutts.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Jul 2011 11:27 #5 by ScienceChic
That sounds like the perfect day otis! Have a great time!

In case any of you are making burgers today:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... torinchief
BBQ Science: The Chemistry of Burgers, Buns, Tomatoes, Pickles and Condiments [Videos]
There's a whole lot of chemistry to feast on
By Philip Yam | May 28, 2011

As you sear the meat and toast the buns, have you ever wondered why grilling beats boiling? Or why ketchup and mustard tend to separate, but mayonnaise does not? Or why a pickle lasts so long?

Our friends at NBC Learn are producing an ongoing set of videos explaining the basic chemistry behind everyday items as part of its Chemistry Now effort. (Check out the chemistry of chocolate.) The videos include a series on the hamburger and its symbiotic accompaniments—all part of the celebration of the International Year of Chemistry 2011.

For example:

The Chemistry of Condiments: Ketchup, Mustard and Mayo
Two of these items are suspensions, and other is a colloidal dispersion. What's the difference? After a time, you have to stir one of them.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds