Determine the doneness of a steak

11 Jul 2011 11:24 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Determine the doneness of a steak was created by CinnamonGirl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2011 23:18 #2 by otisptoadwater
IMHO, any steak cooked beyond medium rare is a crime! I like to bring my steaks to room temp, rub on some salt and pepper, show it to the grill and eat it! My ideal steak moos and tries to get away when I stab it with a fork.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

14 Jul 2011 11:02 #3 by Wayne Harrison
Chef Ramsey hs a way of checking for doneness:

Press your fingers to your cheek, your chin and your forehead.

Cheek = rare
chin = medium rare
forehead = well done

Just press on the steak- it will give in just like your cheek/chin/forehead.

15 Jul 2011 19:48 #4 by otisptoadwater
The method I use is to time the cooking and cook the same thickness of meat over high heat, for an inch and a half thick Porterhouse I cook on one side for five minutes and three on the other for rare. Depending on the marbling of the meat you might want to cook for a shorter time on the first side.

Here's another method:

[youtube:2htiy7b1]
[/youtube:2htiy7b1]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

15 Jul 2011 19:56 #5 by Grady

otisptoadwater wrote: IMHO, any steak cooked beyond medium rare is a crime! I like to bring my steaks to room temp, rub on some salt and pepper, show it to the grill and eat it! My ideal steak moos and tries to get away when I stab it with a fork.

:like: :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds