The Great Debate - Pizza

23 Jul 2011 20:19 - 23 Jul 2011 22:11 #1 by otisptoadwater
There are a lot of variations on pizza these days, it seems like a lot of ingredients are being heaped in to a pizza crust because who doesn't like pizza? The result is what I consider to be some very weird versions of pizza.

For myself I consider the classic pizza to have a hand tossed crust, traditional pizza sauce, Italian sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, onions, bell peppers, and mozzarella and sharp provolone cheeses. Want anchovies, garlic, or spinach? Ok, that's not too weird. I have also been known to schedule flights that go through Chicago and accept a four or five hour layover so I can catch a cab and pay a visit to Lou Malnati's for an authentic Chicago sausage pie. Lou's also offers their products through the Internet and you can have frozen pies delivered overnight but I haven't tried that yet.

New York style pizzas are good and I like Abo's and The Garlic Knot, they are close to work and it's easy to stop there for lunch or on the way home. Papa Murphy's is a good option too and I like the ingredients they offer and the prices. Beau Jo's is always awesome and I understand that they also have a take and bake option.

What do you think and where is the best place to get pizza locally?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jul 2011 21:01 #2 by archer
Replied by archer on topic The Great Debate - Pizza
I have to agree Otis....anything other than classic pizza should be called something else. I do like Beau Jos prairie pie, with tomatoe sauce, extra cheese, and pepperoni, that's as close as I can get to the classic NY pizza I grew up with.

23 Jul 2011 21:02 #3 by daisypusher
Yes, I checked all of them. Live and let eat.

23 Jul 2011 21:09 #4 by otisptoadwater

daisypusher wrote: Yes, I checked all of them. Live and let eat.

To each their own, I can't acknowledge some forms as pizza. If I want breakfast or dessert I don't need it on a pizza crust. Sauerkraut? I didn't think anyone would pick that!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Jul 2011 22:01 #5 by daisypusher
Here is a reuben pizza - rye crust, Thousand Island sauce, Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese with pastrami topping.... I bet it is good..........

23 Jul 2011 23:25 #6 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic The Great Debate - Pizza
Brilliant! i'd try it.

23 Jul 2011 23:27 #7 by archer
Replied by archer on topic The Great Debate - Pizza

daisypusher wrote: Here is a reuben pizza - rye crust, Thousand Island sauce, Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese with pastrami topping.... I bet it is good..........

But that's not a pizza....it's an open face Reuben sandwich on a large flat bread.

23 Jul 2011 23:41 #8 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic The Great Debate - Pizza

otisptoadwater wrote:

daisypusher wrote: Yes, I checked all of them. Live and let eat.

To each their own, I can't acknowledge some forms as pizza. If I want breakfast or dessert I don't need it on a pizza crust. Sauerkraut? I didn't think anyone would pick that!

There was I time I would have agreed with you but I am more liberal now. When I was in Panama eating MREs I was able to sneak out of the jungle and go to a pizza hut. Had a taco pizza and it was delicious. Kind of like maple marinaded steak.

23 Jul 2011 23:43 #9 by otisptoadwater

archer wrote:

daisypusher wrote: Here is a reuben pizza - rye crust, Thousand Island sauce, Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese with pastrami topping.... I bet it is good..........

But that's not a pizza....it's an open face Reuben sandwich on a large flat bread.

And it's not really a Reuben because a real Reuben is a sandwich with rye or marble bread on the bottom and the top. I love Reuben sandwiches, the best I ever had was at Katz's deli in New York city. I make a pretty good version of a Reuben at home but it can't hold a candle to Katz's deli version.

24 Jul 2011 09:31 #10 by daisypusher
It all depends how a person want to market something. It's pizza! No, it's a sandwich! How about we fold it over and call it a Calzone!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds