Elvis's Favorite Recipe for Buttermilk Fried Chicken

03 Aug 2011 12:06 #1 by CinnamonGirl
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2004/05/ ... -king.html

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Elvis Loved
*Google-sized portions; read all the way through to get the total amounts needed*

1/2 c thyme
1/4 c oregano
1/4 c basil
1/2 c onion powder
1/2 c garlic powder
1/2 c dry mustard
1/2 c paprika
1/4 c chili powder
1/2 c celery seed
2 Tbsp salt
1/2 c coriander
1/2 c cumin
1/3 c kosher salt
1/4 c cayenne pepper
1/2 c ground black pepper
1/4 c ground white pepper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2011 19:31 #2 by otisptoadwater
Mmmm! I love southern fried chicken! Add on a side of black eyed peas, smashed tatters with white gravy, and some collard greens and you'll have a Sunday supper that you wish for everyday of the week!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

03 Aug 2011 19:38 #3 by Wayne Harrison
This recipe seems like it's for an Army, with the seasonings in cup size. Half a cup of onion powder and half a cup of garlic powder along with half a cup of every other spice?? Really??

Also, no mention of using flour or buttermilk.

03 Aug 2011 19:57 #4 by otisptoadwater
Procedure in my kitchen is to marinade the chicken overnight in butter milk that has been seasoned, next in to the egg wash and last in to a seasoned flour dredge. The trick is how you cook it and knowing how fast different pieces cook. I use the old trusty Dutch oven about half full of peanut oil, bring the oil to 350F and start with the breasts and thighs, legs next, then the neck and the Pope's nose, wings last. Knowing which spice go in to the buttermilk and which go into the flour is the other secret and everyone has their own magic combination.

For me this list lacks powdered Cayenne and/or a combination barbeque/hot sauce to dip the freshly fried pieces into.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds