Cooking for the Cancer Patient

24 Oct 2011 01:24 #1 by ScienceChic
http://danisfoundation.org/2011/10/22/c ... r-patient/
Cooking for the Cancer Patient
Posted on Oct 22nd, 2011

When a friend is going through cancer treatment, we naturally want to help — and for many people, that means whipping up a casserole or some other comfort food.

But for those experiencing nausea, stomach upset or a metallic aftertaste from chemotherapy, some rich or heavy foods may be anything but comforting, say authors of cookbooks created with cancer patients in mind.

Good nutrition is especially important during cancer treatment because people who are nutritionally depleted don’t tolerate treatment well, says Kris Ghosh, a gynecologic oncologist and co-author (with Linda Carson and Elyse Cohen) of Betty Crocker’s Living With Cancer Cookbook: Easy Recipes and Tips Through Treatment and Beyond (Wiley Paperback, $19.99), out last month.

Cookbooks such as Living With Cancer and the American Cancer Society’s What to Eat During Cancer Treatment: 100 Great-Tasting, Family-Friendly Recipes to Help You Cope ($19.95) aim to help patients and caregivers with symptom management. Both categorize recipes by common symptoms: nausea, diarrhea, constipation, mouth soreness and difficulty swallowing, altered sense of taste, unintentional weight loss.

Read more for Do’s & Don’t's in Cooking for a Cancer Patient

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2011 02:01 #2 by Local_Historian
awww- wish we'd had this a couple years back. But good to have now, just in case!

14 Nov 2011 09:57 #3 by ScienceChic
http://www.livescience.com/16336-top-10 ... foods.html
Top 10 Cancer-Fighting Foods
Christopher Wanjek
30 September 2011

Credit: Tom Tomczyk | shutterstock

The countless books and news articles about cancer-fighting foods might lead you to think you can ward off this dreaded disease simply by eating better. Alas, it's not that simple. Anytime you see a headline stating "Cure cancer naturally," you should run. Running, in fact, will be more beneficial to your health than whatever that news article is pushing.

Many causes of cancer are environmental, largely from tobacco, excessive sun exposure and workplace hazards such as chemical solvents and fumes. Avoidance is the best prevention strategy here.

Aside from that, if you want the odds on your side, the foods in this list do seem to carry some cancer-protection properties.

http://danisfoundation.org/2011/10/29/e ... nutrition/
Effect of Chemotherapy on Nutrition
Posted on Oct 29th, 2011
From Cancer Chat , a publication of the Cancer Society of Trinidad and Tobago

Chemotherapy is a cancer treatment that uses drugs to stop the growth of cancer cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping the cells from dividing. Because chemotherapy targets rapidly dividing cells, healthy cells that normally grow and divide rapidly may also be affected by the cancer treatment. These include cells in the mouth and digestive tract. The severity of chemotherapy side effects also differs from person to person: for example, two people may suffer nausea from the same chemotherapy drug but one slightly queasy for four hours, while the other may vomit. Nutrition-related side effects may occur during chemotherapy. Anorexia and an abnormal loss of appetite are common side effects.

Tips: see articles for lots of good tips and suggestions!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Nov 2011 10:18 #4 by archer
The picture above gave me a good laugh SC. My doc still teases me about my chocolate and strawberry diet during chemo. Those were two of very few things that I could actually taste.

14 Nov 2011 10:33 #5 by ScienceChic
But of course - anyone can make it through anything with strawberries and chocolate! :biggrin:

I'm Happy you are healthy again archer!

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds