Easter Egg Dye From Back in the Day

23 Feb 2012 20:56 #1 by otisptoadwater
Easter is coming and I know most people use dye kits to dye eggs these days. Here is a throw back to earlier days when I lived on the farm and Mom and Dad didn't have the extra cash to buy those fancy dye kits, candy, and all the other stuff that we all associate with Easter these days instead of what Easter is really all about. As I grew up this job fell to the older kids and we had to prepare and hide the eggs before going to bed to ensure that the younger kids in the family would have eggs to find in the yard right after church.

What you need:

Eggs, best that they are five or six days old instead of fresh. They peel easier if they are a few days old.
Onion peels, the darker the better. You might have to buy a five pound bag of onions or ask a produce manager at the local store (and yes they will think you are nuts).
Canned beets, one 14 ounce can works well but use more if you are making more than two dozen eggs.
Salt, I use about a teaspoon for 4 quarts of water.
Balsamic vinegar.
Two large pots.

How it's done:

Bring eggs up to room temperature.

Put the onion peels in one pot and cover with water and a generous splash of balsamic vinegar, beets in the other pot and cover with water. Bring both pots to a boil for 15 minutes and then simmer for 45 minutes, add water as needed.

Add eggs one at a time being careful not to crack the eggs, if you have problems with eggs cracking soak them in a bowl of warm water and white vinegar before putting them in the pot to cook.

Cook eggs for 15 minutes, remove from pot and allow to cool overnight before eating, hiding, or whatever else it is you might do with hard cooked eggs.

The results will be brown and red eggs that look natural compared to the day glow colors that the dye kits provide.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2012 21:27 #2 by ScienceChic
Oooh, we always did the onion peel eggs! I remember thinking that they looked just like the brown eggs in the store and why don't we just go buy those. lol

The beet ones sound pretty, I'll try to remember to make those with the kiddos this year!

Would purple cabbage with vinegar make pink eggs?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Feb 2012 21:36 #3 by otisptoadwater
I'm not sure what red cabbage would yield... I tried spinach puree a couple of years ago and got a pale green result, it might be worth experimenting with both veggies. Try a pot with Turmeric and some Saffron, I bet that will make for some spiffy eggs!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Feb 2012 22:50 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Easter Egg Dye From Back in the Day
I love this thread. SC and I were talking about how we could make some other colors like pink.

I found this. Like Lavender

Purple Grape Juice or
Violet Blossoms plus 2 tsp Lemon Juice or
Red Zinger Tea

http://chemistry.about.com/od/holidayho ... ggdyes.htm

24 Feb 2012 13:05 #5 by ScienceChic
I can't wait to try some of these! I'll post pictures when we do. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Mar 2013 20:31 #6 by otisptoadwater
Bump, Easter is on the horizon. Curious if anyone has new ideas for colors besides pale red, brown, or green. Blue berry juice for purple? I like to pickle and eat the eggs afterward so blue berry juice without any additives or sugar would be a requirement for me.

18 Mar 2013 21:58 #7 by ScienceChic
Thanks for the reminder otis, I'd saved something a while back on this and completely forgotten!

File Attachment:

Instead of buying those dying kits, use kool-aid. One pack of Kool-aid and 2/3 cups water and you've got awesome egg dye. Two bonuses: it's cheaper than those boxes of egg dye and it smells great!!
*Side note: if you use the lemonade flavor, mix it with a little bit of orange to get a better yellow color, otherwise it's too light.* ((FEEL FREE TO SHARE!))
{Tracy}

From Mommies & Daddies 101 Facebook Page

18 Mar 2013 22:07 #8 by otisptoadwater
Gotta put my shades on for all of them colors!

The down side for my family is a few of the 6-7 year olds (and all of the older kids) have been around chickens and have collected eggs over a couple of years so they'd probably see through colors that bright as a hoax. Looking for a green or a blue color that is subtle enough to occur in nature but weird enough to not be an every day occurrence (April Fools Day anyone?!).

Edited to add - Got a couple of pals that will hand off a couple of Turkey and Duck eggs just in time so I can get them cooked, dyed a slightly inappropriate color, and then plant them under hens who will happily sit on them until some unsuspecting, inexperienced children will collect them. lol

18 Mar 2013 22:32 #9 by otisptoadwater
A couple of these would be a hoot too:

[youtube:21h8z1j0]
[/youtube:21h8z1j0]

18 Mar 2013 23:00 #10 by ScienceChic
That's messed up! I'd love to have one to surprise my kids with too!

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds