Easter Egg Dye From Back in the Day

19 Mar 2013 07:55 #11 by pacamom

Science Chic wrote: Thanks for the reminder otis, I'd saved something a while back on this and completely forgotten!

Instead of buying those dying kits, use kool-aid. One pack of Kool-aid and 2/3 cups water and you've got awesome egg dye. Two bonuses: it's cheaper than those boxes of egg dye and it smells great!!
*Side note: if you use the lemonade flavor, mix it with a little bit of orange to get a better yellow color, otherwise it's too light.* ((FEEL FREE TO SHARE!))
{Tracy}

From Mommies & Daddies 101 Facebook Page

I've dyed alpaca fiber with Kool-Aid. Got some great subtle unnatural colors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2013 07:59 #12 by pacamom
Try both fresh and frozen produce. Canned produce will produce much paler colors. Boiling the colors with vinegar will result in deeper colors. Some materials need to be boiled to impart their color (name followed by 'boiled' in the table). Some of the fruits, vegetables, and spices can be used cold. To use a cold material, cover the boiled eggs with water, add dyeing materials, a teaspoon or less of vinegar, and let the eggs remain in the refrigerator until the desired color is achieved. In most cases, the longer you leave Easter eggs in the dye, the more deeply colored they will become.

Here is the preferred method for using natural dyes:

1.Place the eggs in a single layer in a pan. Add water until the eggs are covered.
2.Add approximately one teaspoon of vinegar.
3.Add the natural dye. Use more dye material for more eggs or for a more intense color.
4.Bring water to a boil.
5.Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
6.If you are pleased with the color, remove the eggs from the liquid.
7. If you want more intensely colored eggs, temporarily remove the eggs from the liquid. Strain the dye through a coffee filter (unless you want speckled eggs). Cover the eggs with the filtered dye and let them remain in the refrigerator overnight.
8. Naturally-colored eggs will not be glossy, but if you want a shiny appearance you can rub a bit of cooking oil onto the eggs once they are dry.
You can use fresh and frozen berries as 'paints', too. Simply crush the berries against dry boiled eggs. Try coloring on the eggs with crayons or wax pencils before boiling and dyeing them. Happy Easter!

Natural Easter Egg Dyes

Color
Ingredients

Lavender

Small Quantity of Purple Grape Juice
Violet Blossoms plus 2 tsp Lemon Juice
Red Zinger Tea

Violet Blue

Violet Blossoms
Small Quantity of Red Onions Skins (boiled)
Hibiscus Tea
Red Wine

Blue

Canned Blueberries
Red Cabbage Leaves (boiled)
Purple Grape Juice

Green

Spinach Leaves (boiled)
Liquid Chlorophyll

Greenish Yellow

Yellow Delicious Apple Peels (boiled)

Yellow

Orange or Lemon Peels (boiled)
Carrot Tops (boiled)
Celery Seed (boiled)
Ground Cumin (boiled)
Ground Turmeric (boiled)
Chamomile Tea
Green Tea

Golden Brown

Dill Seeds

Brown

Strong Coffee
Instant Coffee
Black Walnut Shells (boiled)
Black Tea

Orange

Yellow Onion Skins (boiled)
Cooked Carrots
Chili Powder
Paprika

Pink

Beets
Cranberries or Juice
Raspberries
Red Grape Juice
Juice from Pickled Beets

Red

Lots of Red Onions Skins (boiled)
Canned Cherries with Juice
Pomegranate Juice
Raspberries

19 Mar 2013 09:28 #13 by ScienceChic
Found another one!

File Attachment:

Easter is coming up...check out this great pictorial on how to dye eggs using only natural ingredients like blueberries, turmeric, and more, from Rural Spin: http://ruralspin.com/2012/03/18/dyed-eggs-all-natural/

From Camping Survival Women

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Apr 2014 17:28 #14 by otisptoadwater
Bump - Easter is nigh... Why buy a dye kit when you can try these recipes out instead and know for sure what's in the dye?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

13 Apr 2014 16:54 #15 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Apr 2015 20:21 #16 by otisptoadwater
Bump, maybe a bit too late for the Ma's and Pa's out there helping the Easter Bunny out... :eggcolor: :hapeaster: :HE: :eastercross

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

26 Mar 2016 10:06 #17 by ScienceChic
We're going to try coloring white and brown eggs later today. Will post results when done! :)
:paintegg: :eggdye: :paintself: :eggcolor: :ebunny:

26 Mar 2016 18:07 #18 by otisptoadwater
Anyone try this yet? I'm going to give this a try this year then use a cold dying method for green, brown, and red eggs.

allrecipes.com/recipe/232024/hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven/

:hoppyeaster :eastercross

21 Mar 2018 15:39 - 21 Mar 2018 15:41 #19 by ScienceChic
Sorry, I forgot to post these last year, this is how ours turned out - we liked the results!

Some other ideas from Avantgardens:

I'm not sure if you have to boil the eggs with all these items, or can do a cold coloring in the fridge (the onion skins for sure you boil). Happy Dyeing!
:eggdye: :paintegg: :easteregg2: :easteregg1:

Attachments:

11 Apr 2020 09:17 #20 by ScienceChic
Since we're all self-isolating at home, I thought a reminder on dyeing Easter eggs using natural dyes you may already have in your home might be helpful! :eggdye: :paintself: :paintegg:

Video: Make Beautiful Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs with Foods You Probably Have on Hand
Use natural foods—like beets, onions and cabbage—to make beautifully colored eggs.
Gretel H. Schueller, Eating Well | Updated April 07, 2020

Are you interested in coloring eggs naturally with food-based Easter egg dyes? We've developed a fool-proof technique and food-based dye recipes for for five natural Easter egg colorings: Yellow, Khaki Green, Red, Violet, Blue and Orange. Happy Easter!

Now that you have all those hard-boiled eggs, here's how to jazz up your deviled eggs. :coolwink:
Video: 5 Ways to Make Deviled Eggs Even Better
We take classic deviled eggs and transform them into Buffalo-style deviled eggs, deviled eggs with kimchi, Parmesan-caper deviled eggs and spicy Southwestern deviled eggs.
Megan O. Steintrager, Eating Well | Updated April 03, 2020

Healthy Easter Recipes

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds