What are you having tonight?

07 Jul 2012 16:21 #1 by HappyCamper
With the cooler temps hubby requested chicken and dumplings what are you cooking up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jul 2012 17:19 #2 by otisptoadwater
I have tons of leftovers from the 4th of July bash at my little brothers, the stuff I could freeze is in the freezer but there was a lot of other stuff that won't last. I don't like to reheat a cooked steak, IMHO if you take the time to cook it then you should take the time to eat it when it's ready. Tonight that rule is going to be ignored for the sake of eating up the leftovers before they go bad.

So tonight it's a bone in Rib Eye (over done :angry: ), corn on the cob, baked beans, and some 'tatter salad. I even have some left over ice cream in a bag but I don't think I'll have room for that too all at one sitting. As it is I'll have to go for a wander in the woods with the Wundermutt to burn some of the meal off.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

07 Jul 2012 18:21 #3 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic What are you having tonight?
Had some left over roast pork so I cut it up, mixed it with some frijoles negros (black beans), seasonings and queso and baked it the oven then rolled it up in tortillas then covered it in salsa and now I'm eating it.

Muy bueno!

07 Jul 2012 18:32 #4 by archer
Replied by archer on topic What are you having tonight?
Rib eyes...not reheated but fresh on the grill....new potatoes....and corn on the cob.

07 Jul 2012 19:30 #5 by HappyCamper
We got corn for tomorrow.

The mexican food sounds wonderful.

Got started late on cooking everything so we will eat around 8:30 mine are not the traditional Chicken and Dumplings we cooke it very slow then remove the chicken from the bone puree the veggies throw the chicken back in cook another 1/2 hour at least the longer the better.

If you puree the veggies then the broth is a lot thicker.

Then it is dumpling time takes about 20 minutes at 8800 feet.

07 Jul 2012 19:47 #6 by otisptoadwater
Try this next time you buy corn:

Corn on the Cob

What You Need:

Ears of corn in the husk
Fire or grill
Butter
Heal of bread
Salt

How it's Done:

Get the corn at your favorite place, DO NOT peel the ears open just select ears that are green and tasseled out. Feel around the top of each ear to ensure there are kernels all the way up to the top of each ear. Not a 100% guarantee that every ear will be a good one but I get it right more often than not. If cooking over a wood fire gather coals off to one side of the fire and place the corn directly on top of the coals, on a grill place corn on the grilling surface. Roll the corn as each side facing the heat turns brown and even black. Remove each ear from the heat once all sides are brown to black.

While the corn cooks butter the heal of bread and salt it, use a lot of butter and salt (sneak in some cold bacon fat if you have some on hand). Break out your welding gloves and peel each ear by pulling as much of the silk out of the top as you can and then peeling back the husk, wrap the inverted husk with a paper towel and use the husk as a handle. Run the corn over the buttered bread making sure to cover all sides. Eat and repeat as needed.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

07 Jul 2012 19:59 #7 by HappyCamper
Sounds like a good thing to do camping (once there is not at ban)

We have a pellet smoker and there is nothing like smoked corn on the cob in the husk.

I will try the bread trick with it.

07 Jul 2012 20:30 #8 by Mtn Gramma
Meat loaf, baked potatoes, grape tomatoes & salad, strawberry shortcake.

07 Jul 2012 23:17 #9 by pacamom
Grilled, marinated flank steak, baked potato, coleslaw. And an orange creamsicle for dessert.

20 Sep 2012 15:44 #10 by RY
Replied by RY on topic What are you having tonight?
I can post what I made last night, not sure what's for dinner tonight...

File Attachment:

and

File Attachment:

and for dessert

File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds