Comfort Foods for the coming cold weather.

25 Sep 2012 18:09 #1 by HappyCamper
Here is my recipe for Beer Cheese soup thought I would start this link and maybe we can share some recipes

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
popped popcorn, for garnish

Directions

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat then puree veggies you can do this with a blender, food processor or stick blender

2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.

3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn.

Leftovers freeze well

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Sep 2012 19:57 - 06 Oct 2012 17:44 #2 by otisptoadwater
Navy Beans with Ham Hocks

What You Need

3 cups (1-1/2 pounds) dried navy beans
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large onion, chopped
6 rashers of thick cut bacon, diced
3-4 carrots, sliced in to 1/4 inch discs
1 meaty smoked ham hock
2 cups chicken broth
2-1/2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste

Git'r Done

Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat then cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Alternate method would be to soak the beans over night in cold water, do what works for you.

Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Bring a large Dutch oven or soup kettle up to medium heat, add bacon and diced onion and cook until bacon has rendered fat and onions are soft. Add the beans, tomatoes with juice, carrots, ham hock, broth, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are tender.

Add more water if necessary. Remove ham hock and let stand until cool enough to handle with bare hands. Remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. For a thicker soup smash some of the beans on the side of the pot with a sturdy spoon and mix well. Makes enough for 8 hungry people or 10 kids.

Serve with corn bread, biscuits, or sour dough bread. Share with your canine friends at your own peril.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

25 Sep 2012 20:10 #3 by HappyCamper
Yum!!!!

We have Ham Hocks from our 4-H pig

If you want a twist on the Beer Cheese steam some broccoli florets and drop them in the hot soup about 5 minutes before eating.

26 Sep 2012 13:37 #4 by RY
Corn and Leek Soup w Thyme and Sage

http://www.royalyogabailey.com/green-go ... cipes.html (scroll down a bit)

26 Sep 2012 14:29 #5 by JMC
Osso buco is my favorite, I am not real good at giving recipes but veal shanks cooked for 10 hours can't be beat.

26 Sep 2012 14:29 #6 by ScienceChic
(Hubby is SO excited, he LOVES soup weather!). This is what he's making this weekend!

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
1c diced onions
1c diced carrots
1c diced celery
1 Tbsp butter (soft)
1 tsp minced garlic (~6 cloves)
1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp seasoning salt
1 gal water
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 chicken bouiilon cubes
2c diced peeled potatoes
16 oz can whole peeled tomoatoes crushed
1 medium head green cabbage halved and cut into thin strips
2c diced cooked corned beef
1/2c converted rice

In large soup pot, saute onion, carrots, & celery in butter over medium high heat until tender
Add garlic, pepper, & seasoning salt stirring well
Ad water, bouiilon cubes, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, and corned beef
Add additional water to cover vegetables and nearly fill the pot if needed
Bring to a boil and cook 45 minutes
Add rice and cook until done.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Sep 2012 14:30 #7 by ScienceChic

drop out wrote: Osso buco is my favorite, I am not real good at giving recipes but veal shanks cooked for 10 hours can't be beat.

Doing that in your Big Green Egg? :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Sep 2012 14:35 #8 by JMC

Science Chic wrote:

drop out wrote: Osso buco is my favorite, I am not real good at giving recipes but veal shanks cooked for 10 hours can't be beat.

Doing that in your Big Green Egg? :)

No but I have a 9lb brisket coming that I plan to smoke for about 12 hours.
Osso Bucco is being done on the stove and in the oven.

26 Sep 2012 17:13 #9 by RY
Quinoa/lentil soup with tomatoes and kale

File Attachment:

Great leftover dish if you have the quinoa and lentils cooked already from other meals. Took me only about 10 minutes to make this dish! Perfect when you get home late from work and are really hungry!

makes 1 serving

1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked French green lentils
1 cup heirloom tomatoes cut into chunks
¼ cup sundried tomatoes
1 tbl sp tomato powder or paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup kale
1 cup filtered water
½ tsp Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt
Pepper
½ tbl sp olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tbl sp coconut oil

Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic, sauté till golden, add the tomatoes and kale, allow to soften. Add the quinoa, sundried tomatoes and lentils and 1 cup of filtered water, salt and pepper and the lemon juice. Cook for about 5 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil.

26 Sep 2012 17:24 #10 by LOL
Beer-and-Bacon-Mancakes

Oops! Wrong thread. :lol:

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds