Comfort Foods for the coming cold weather.

26 Sep 2012 17:41 #11 by HappyCamper
These all look great!!!

Bacon is a comfort food in my book!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Sep 2012 17:42 #12 by ScienceChic

LOL wrote: Beer-and-Bacon-Mancakes

Oops! Wrong thread. :lol:

ROFLMAO No, it's not! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Oct 2012 18:30 #13 by otisptoadwater
Meatloaf and Smashed D-lux Tatters

What You Need

Meatloaf
1 pound ground Chuck
1 pound ground Veal
1 pound ground Pork
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
2 eggs
Ketchup
Course ground brown Mustard
1 large yellow Onion
2-3 cloves of Garlic
Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, and/or other spices you like
Salt and Pepper

Smashed D-lux Tatters
Yukon gold tatters
Butter (not margarine)
Shredded sharp Cheddar
Cooked Bacon
2-3 cloves of Garlic
Heavy whipping Cream

Git'r Done

Making the meatloaf:
Mix the ground meats together, smash the crackers until you have fine crumbs, coarse chop onion and garlic. Combine the meat, cracker crumbs, garlic, and onions in a large bowl. Add eggs, ketchup, mustard, and spices. Add ketchup and mustard in equal amounts until the mixture starts to become loose but not soupy. Use your paws to do the mixing and make sure to mix thoroughly so all ingredients are equally distributed.

Preheat your oven at 350F, form the meat mixture into a loaf on a sheet pan or in a loaf pan, bake for one hour.

Smashing the D-lux Tatters:
Wash the tatters and quarter them (skin on, remove any eyes and bad spots), fry the bacon, and dice the garlic fine. Flash fry the garlic in bacon fat, dice the bacon, and bring the tatters to a boil in a pot then simmer on high heat until fork tender. Drain tatters once they are done and return to the pot, add butter and cream then smash 'em with the appropriate kitchen tool adding more cream to arrive at a smooth consistency. Mix in the diced bacon, garlic, and shredded Cheddar.

If you make the meatloaf first and work on the tatters second they should both be done at about the same time. Got leftover meatloaf? Whip up some brown gravy, toss in a few sliced mushrooms, and serve slices of meatloaf on toasted sourdough bread covered in gravy. Prefer different flavors? Change the ground pork out for Italian sausage and use marinara sauce in place of the ketchup and mustard, serve with pasta and extra sauce.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

06 Oct 2012 19:39 #14 by HappyCamper
Having meatballs and sauce tonight but them taters are sounding yummy.

07 Oct 2012 09:09 #15 by RY

12 Jan 2014 15:52 #16 by ScienceChic
So I previously shared the Ratatouille Nicoise recipe that I usually make, but with the vegetables being chunked, it's not so pretty to take a picture of. Here's a variation of that recipe (it doesn't call for cayenne pepper and basil, add them back in if you'd like a little more spice) from 12Tomatoes.com, but makes a really pretty dish! It's also a good comfort food (for those of us :) with vegetable cravings) for cold weather - we're making it tonight!

Vegetarian Recipe: Ratatouille Casserole
File Attachment:

Looking for a lighter meal that’s still packed with flavor? Savor the roasted vegetables that make ratatouille such a comforting and simple meal to make.

Classic French ratatouille is more of a stew, but Julia Child preferred making it by thinly slicing the vegetables and layering them neatly in a casserole dish. This recipe follows the latter method, which makes for a beautiful and colorful presentation that almost makes the ratatouille look too good to eat… almost.

It’s also a great idea for people with food allergies and diet restrictions, because it shouldn't have any dairy, gluten, nuts, or meat.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Jan 2014 20:17 #17 by otisptoadwater
Break out the crock pot after brunch and whip up a batch of...

Beef Pot Roast

Get This Stuff:

3-ish pound beef chuck roast
6 potatoes, cut into 1.5-2 inch cubes, I like Yukon Golds but use what you like
5 large carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
1 yellow onion rough chopped
4 stalks celery cut into 1 inch long pieces
1/4 cup beef stock
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup black coffee
2 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary or the equivalent dry
1 tablespoon ground Sage
1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet

Do This:

Cut up potatoes, onions, and celery and put them in the bottom of your crock pot. Rub spices into the surface of the chuck roast, better results if you rub the roast and let it marinate in the fridge over night. Put roast on top of vegetables in the crock pot. Add the liquid ingredients being sure to pour them over the chuck roast.

Slap the cover on the crock pot and on low for 6 to 8 hours. You don't need the extra starch but I like to eat this with a wedge of sourdough bread, some green beans on the side, and maybe an iceberg lettuce wedge salad with sharp blue cheese dressing.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

18 Jan 2014 17:26 #18 by otisptoadwater
I have a big pot of this ready for half time tomorrow!

Green Chili With Pork

What You Need:

2 rashers of thick cut bacon, diced
1 pound pork loin, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
5 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons water
2 pounds Hatch green chiles (the hottest chilies are best but use what you like), roasted, peeled, and course chopped
1 tablespoon cumin
Pinch of salt
Black pepper to taste
3 cups chicken broth

How It's Done:

Heat up a heavy pot or Dutch Oven, in the summer I make this on the side burner of my gas grill. Once the pot is hot add the bacon and let it cook but not until it is crisp, remove from the pot and set aside then add onions and cook onions until soft. Remove the onions and set aside with the bacon then add the cubed pork and seer on all sides until the meat is browned. Once the pork is brown add the chilies, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, onions, bacon, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the pork is falling apart. Make a slurry with the corn starch and cold water, once well mixed pour into the pot and return the mixture to a boil. Stir while the heat is increased and until the mixture begins to boil and thicken. Remove from heat once the mixture has tightened up.

Good by itself in a bowl with some shredded cheddar and a flour tortilla. Goes well as a topping on just about anything, burgers, eggs, meatloaf... Also freezes well so when I make a batch I portion it out and keep some in the freezer for future meals. Need more green chili than this recipe makes? I have quadrupled this recipe for family gatherings with great results (unless you ask the people that think ketchup is spicy...)!

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds