Bronco Game Help

10 Jan 2013 16:39 #1 by HappyCamper
Bronco Game Help was created by HappyCamper
We have the whole crew coming over for the game and I smoked a brisket today for BBQ brisket sandwiches.

I want to make so new appetizers that are not the norm (i.e. rotel cheese dip, deviled eggs, pinwheels, wings, etc.)

I am pretty handy in the kitchen so it is ok if the recipe isn't super easy.

While I am sure many veggie items are yummy my crew is a meat lovin, cheese eating, gun toting crowd :rofllol so somthing like hummus is not going to cut it.

I am thinking something spicy with bacon or seafood or both.

Got any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2013 19:04 #2 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Bronco Game Help
How about this one?

Atomic Deer "Smart Pills"

A long time ago my younger brother and me were roaming around in the mountains after a picnic, he reached down to pick up a small brown round object and asked me what it was. I told him it was a smart pill and that if he took it he'd be a lot smarter! Turns out that not only did he get a lot smarter right there on the spot, I got the whipping of a life time after my Dad found out!

These "Smart Pills" taste a lot better (or at least I assume so, I'd have to ask my lil'bro to be sure). Use whatever cheese you have handy, sharper cheeses kind of get lost in the other flavors. Velveeta and other "processed cheese food substances" work great!

What you need:

Whole JalapeƱos, smaller peppers work best
One-inch chunks of cheese
Venison sausage or the ground meat of your choice (NO TURKEY OR CHICKEN, those are vegetables!)
Bacon grease or vegetable oil

How to make 'em:

Cut the the tops off the JalapeƱos then use a finger or a butter knife to hollow out the inside of the pepper, cut the cheese ( :rofllol sorry my inner 4th grader couldn't resist) so that it fits inside the pepper.

Flatten a 3 to 4-ounce patty of venison sausage (or ground meat of your choice) on a cutting board with your palm. Peel it up and fold it around the stuffed pepper squeezing to form an oblong shape. Put a thin layer of bacon grease or oil on a grill or griddle and cook the stuffed sausage over medium heat turning often until well-browned on all sides.

Allow the cooked "smart pills" to rest on a plate or cutting board long enough for the cheese to firm up some (or don't and burn the H E double hockey sticks out of your mouth), cut each oblong in half so you can see the pepper and cheese. Serve immediately. Great with scrambled eggs and green chili early in the morning!!!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

10 Jan 2013 19:18 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Bronco Game Help
I have a really great pizza dip if interested. I also have a crab dip. Another favorite is always the spinach dip too. I love deviled eggs as well. i also had a friend that wrapped water chestnuts in bacon and broiled them. They were really good. Let me know if any of those sound interesting. The pizza dip is really good. One of my favorites.

10 Jan 2013 19:20 #4 by otisptoadwater
Here's another one that seems to cause the uninitiated to make a face and ask lots of questions, everyone I have served this dish to wanted more after they got their first bite!

Scotch Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs - peeled of course!
12 ounces of bulk breakfast sausage
Bread crumbs or crushed crackers
1 tsp course Dijon mustard
Ground black pepper to taste

Mix mustard with the sausage. Divide out into 6 equal portions and pat out each one in an oval patty shape. Put one egg in middle of each sausage patty. Pick up patty and form around the egg, covering egg completely.

Roll in bread/cracker crumbs and place on a greased baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until the sausage is cooked. If your cholesterol is not high enough you could flash fry these in 375-ish oil but you need a deep fryer, if you go that route make sure you pack the meat and bread/cracker crumbs tightly or you'll get a mess instead of a tasty treat! Sausage ratio to egg can be increased or decreased to one's tastes. Adjust cooking time accordingly.

Serve hot or cold with more mustard, Tabasco, both or neither. Share with your four legged friends at your own peril!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

10 Jan 2013 20:24 #5 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Bronco Game Help
These sound great!!!

CG I would love the pizza and crab dip not sure watercress would fly even with bacon.

These boys can eat the jalapenos (glad they go home after the game) so that will be a new one this year.

When we make it to the next round will try the eggs, probably don't want to mix that with the jalapenos :biggrin:

10 Jan 2013 20:47 #6 by otisptoadwater

HappyCamper wrote: These boys can eat the jalapenos (glad they go home after the game) so that will be a new one this year.

When we make it to the next round will try the eggs, probably don't want to mix that with the jalapenos :biggrin:

Have a pre-game party, not a post game party. Your mileage may vary but my experience has been that a combination of Atomic Smart pills and Scotch eggs takes 6-8 hours to reach it's peak post-gastronomic effect. Just remember dogs + hard boiled eggs ='s bad idea!

10 Jan 2013 21:13 #7 by otisptoadwater
Speaking of the next stage of the playoffs... As the Super Bowl approaches it is time to consider the game day snacks that will feed the masses. Sure there will be wings and chips...

ULTIMATE NACHOS

What you need:

14 ounce can refried beans
14 ounce can black beans
2 pounds taco meat (or diced steak, chicken, or pork... Or all of them!)
2 cups fine shredded Cheddar
2 cups fine shredded Monterrey Jack
2 cups drained pickled jalapeno slices
2 cups guacamole
1 cup sour cream
1 diced tomato
Sliced black olives
Chopped green onions
Corn tortilla chips

How it's done:

Layer chips on a shallow platter. Combine beans and heat. Rewarm or cook taco meat. Once beans and meat are up to temp spoon beans and then meat on the chips and add cheeses. Layer on more chips and repeat the process building a pyramid shape. Once the mound of food is complete bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Top the nachos with jalapenos, guacamole, black olives, tomatoes, green onions, and sour cream.

Need more heat? Consider adding a couple of ladles of hot pork green chili!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds