Pizza Sauce Recipe for Canning

08 Aug 2013 18:10 #1 by BaconLover
Looking to put up some Pizza Sauce for the winter. Anybody have any delicious homemade pizza sauce recipes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2013 16:20 #2 by ScienceChic
Yes, please?! Homemade pizza is the best!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Aug 2013 16:44 #3 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Pizza Sauce Recipe for Canning
Not wild about fresh tomatoes for pizza, gets too watery for me. Canned with alittle paste and then strained so not too chunky.
Also I like to put the cheese down first, sauce on top. I hate cleaning the oven so I
usually try to grill it outside.

09 Aug 2013 16:52 #4 by ScienceChic
Oh, I love fresh tomatoes on pizza! The trick is to use roma tomatoes - they aren't as juicy. Grilling it outside sounds good! Now if I could just get my son to stop insisting on those nasty jalapenos...

We currently use canned Pastorelli's Pizza Sauce that we can only find at Target, it would be nice to have a homemade recipe to go with the homemade dough.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Aug 2013 17:17 #5 by otisptoadwater
I spend too much time on the road to stockpile canned pizza sauce, it would go bad before I could use the first pint. Here's an old standby, it's probably not what you are looking for because I've never attempted to make the sauce on a larger scale, much less can it:

Got every thing on hand for pizza but no time to make the dough and let it rise? Sure you could use the canned stuff from the store... Or make:

French Bread Pizza

What you need:

An adequate amount of French (or similar) bread, whole loaves
Olive oil
Pizza sauce (see below or use what you like)
Thin slices or grated Provolone
Thin slices or grated Mozzarella
Toppings of your choice

Pizza Sauce Ingredients:

3 minced garlic cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 teaspoon dry rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Cook the sauce like this:

In a large saucepan, saute garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat then simmer uncovered for a half hour or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Sauce keeps for a week in the refrigerator. Makes about 5 1/2 cups, I find I need about a cup per loaf of bread so I divide the final product into five equal portions. Glad ware containers work well for this task and this sauce comes back out of the freezer well so I only need to make sauce a couple of times a quarter.

Back to making the grub:

Split the loaves in half horizontally. Apply olive oil to the inner surfaces of the bread and toast either on the rack of your oven or a pre-heated grill until you have adequate browning, this step helps to keep the sauce from soaking through the bread. Return the bread to your work surface (be it a table, counter, top of a Coleman cooler, etc...) and top with sauce, cheeses, and toppings.

Getting the amounts of sauce, cheeses, and toppings right takes a little experimentation. Order of operations also comes into play here, bread topped with sauce, some cheese, then toppings, then a top layer of cheese. This is one case where less is more, don't crowd the toppings together and keep things thin and small. Quality ingredients will really shine, this is one recipe I will buy the good stuff and skip over the everyday stuff, take a trip to the Deli case and get just enough of the good stuff for the meal. I don't recommend using any raw sausage on this, cook your sausage in small lumps until mostly done first and then use as a topping. The other trick is keeping the loaves level, try a few balls of aluminum foil tucked in around each piece of bread.

I like to cook mine on my gas grill on the upper rack, I put down a layer of foil make the foil balls and then preheat the grill to around 425F. 25-30 minutes is usually plenty long to heat the product through, smaller, thinner loafs of bread will take less time. It's done when the cheese on top is golden brown.

:memorial:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Aug 2013 17:37 #6 by HappyCamper
I have never canned my sauce I just put it in Ziploc bags and freeze it.

Here is the website I use for making the pizza sauce with a few exceptions. If I can get them I always use San Marzano tomatoes I have some growing in my greenhouse right now. You typically find them at places like Whole Foods now and be prepared to pay more. If they are not available I use Roma tomatoes.

Also I never use powdered garlic fresh and many times I will roast them for a little different taste.

I always use fresh herbs also.

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-pizza-sauce-three-recipes/

I have problems with canned tomatoes because of the acid content and many times will get a blister on the top of my mouth but never with the recipe so I also use this to make my standard sauce for spaghetti and lasagna.

It takes some time but it is well worth it I do not take the seeds out of my tomatoes as when I puree the mixture they get chopped up, but I was told by my brother -in -law who is a full blooded NY Italian that they make the sauce bitter.

Enjoy and let us all know what recipe you decide to use.

12 Aug 2013 20:59 #7 by BaconLover
The "Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pizza Sauce" looked tasty!! I hear ya on freezing, but I don't have the patience to wait until it thaws to use it. :faint:

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds