The Best Temperatures and Uses for Common Cooking Oils

04 Feb 2014 11:30 #1 by ScienceChic
I've discovered the yumminess that is avocado oil and am trying to learn more about how to better use the various types of oils out there. This is handy!

The Best Temperatures and Uses for Common Cooking Oils
Alan Henry on Lifehacker
2/03/14

One of the biggest reasons you'd want multiple oils in your kitchen, especially more than just olive oil, is because different oils smoke at different temperatures, which means they lend themselves—and their flavor—best to different cooking methods.

The graphic , made by the folks over at Chasing Delicious (who are responsible for a few other great kitchen graphics we've highlighted) tells the whole tale. ...head over to Chasing Delicious at the link to buy a print for your wall—you can get them in 8.5" x 11" ($18) or 11.5" x 17.5" ($24).

File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Feb 2014 12:20 #2 by Blazer Bob
On a similar note I recently read a comment on a health thread of someone who puts a teaspoon of coconut oil in his morning coffee. He thinks there are more health benefits to coconut oil and the fat curbs his appetite.

04 Feb 2014 19:59 #3 by otisptoadwater
Being that we're in the Kitchen I'll hold off on my questions regarding the origins and uses of Baby Oil...

As you might guess, I'm not much of a salad kind of guy. My Sister in law makes an awesome vinaigrette with Balsamic vinegar and walnut oil, it's so good I'll even eat a salad as long as I can dress it with this tasty concoction!

Balsamic Walnut Oil Vinaigrette

Get This Stuff:

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons toasted walnut oil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Do This:

Combine the vinegar, mustard, walnut oil and olive oil in a glass jar and seal the lid tightly. Shake the jar until the ingredients are well combined. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste. The vinaigrette can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 month. Let it return to room temperature and shake before using. Makes just a little bit less than a half cup but can be doubled or tripled if you need a larger batch.

Making a submarine sandwich and looking for something outside the normal mustard and mayo condiments? This dressing will transform an ordinary sandwich into something special!

The only down side? Walnut oil is really expensive and it doesn't keep forever so only buy what you're going to use in the short term.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds