St. Patty's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage

09 Mar 2014 16:22 #1 by BaconLover
OK.. This is my favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe. The horseradish creme-fresh is out of this world!!

Ingredients
4 pounds lean raw corned beef brisket
3 tablespoons pickling spice (often included with brisket)
1 medium rutabaga, halved and cut into wedges
1 pound large carrots, cut into 4-inch pieces
1 1/4 pounds large fingerling potatoes
1 leek, white and light-green parts only, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/2 head Savoy cabbage, cut into wedges
1/3 cup horseradish, drained
1/3 cup creme fraeche or sour cream

Directions
Place the corned beef in a large slow cooker and scatter the pickling spices on top. Layer the rutabaga, carrots, potatoes and leek in the cooker (in this order for even cooking). Add enough hot water (4 to 5 cups) to cover the meat by at least 1 inch, put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high, 7 to 8 hours.

Remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker and keep warm. Put the cabbage in a microwave-safe dish with 2 cups cooking liquid from the slow cooker, cover and microwave until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, boil another cup of cooking liquid in a small skillet until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Mix with the horseradish and creme fraeche in a small bowl.

Slice the corned beef and serve with the slow-cooked vegetables, cabbage and sauce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2014 16:41 #2 by HEARTLESS
OKAY THAT'S IT! A Norsk wood monkey telling us how to make Celtic food.
On a more serious note: that sounds good. :BeerSalute

The silent majority will be silent no more.

09 Mar 2014 16:49 #3 by ScienceChic
Norsk wood monkey? Celtic food? LOL

I can attest it's really tasty. :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Mar 2014 16:52 #4 by HEARTLESS
I like the avatar change, very appropriate.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

09 Mar 2014 18:54 #5 by otisptoadwater
An alternative recipe, not claiming it's better just different:

Saint Patrick's Day is neigh, here is my favorite recipe for the occasion. New England style with extra vegetables, you could add more veggies like turnips, rutabagas, and parsnips but I seem to be the only one who likes those tubers.

New England Boiled Dinner, a.k.a the 'Merican version of Corned Beef & Cabbage

What You Need:

4-5 pound corned brisket of beef (when the party is over chill and slice the leftovers to make Rubens!)
water
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
8 carrots, peeled
8-10 potatoes, I like to use new potatoes so I double due to small size of spuds
2 yellow onions, peeled and cut into quarters
1 small head green cabbage, cored and cut into quarters

How It's Done:

Cover the beef with water in a large pot. Add the basil, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Skim the fat from the surface as necessary.* Cook gently for 3-4 hours until the beef is fork-tender.

About 30 minutes before serving, add all the vegetables, except the cabbage. Add the cabbage 15 minutes before serving. Turn up the heat when adding the vegetables so that the broth is boiling. Turn down the heat to a simmer once broth boils.

*Here’s advice on boiling meat from the 1845 cookbook by Esther Allen
Howard entitled: “The New England Economic Housekeeper”:

“(Boiling meats) is the most simple of culinary processes (but is not often)
performed in perfection. It does not require so much nicety and attention as roasting. To skim the pot well and keep it really boiling (the slower the better) all the while…and take it up at the critical moment when it is done enough, comprehends the whole art and mystery. This, however, demands a patient and perpetual vigilance, of which few persons are capable.”

If Esther's narrative has not put you off the task of making a simple corned beef dinner, read on:

“…when the pot is coming to a boil, there will always, from the cleanest of
meats and the cleanest of water, rise a scum to the top of it. Proceeding partly from the water; this must be carefully taken off as soon as it rises…the oftener it is skimmed and the cleaner the top of the water is kept the sweeter the meat.”

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Mar 2014 21:06 #6 by BaconLover
Esther is spot on! That's why I had to do mine in the crock pot, I never had the patience to boil it until tender. LOL

otisptoadwater wrote: *Here’s advice on boiling meat from the 1845 cookbook by Esther Allen
Howard entitled: “The New England Economic Housekeeper”:

“(Boiling meats) is the most simple of culinary processes (but is not often)
performed in perfection. It does not require so much nicety and attention as roasting. To skim the pot well and keep it really boiling (the slower the better) all the while…and take it up at the critical moment when it is done enough, comprehends the whole art and mystery. This, however, demands a patient and perpetual vigilance, of which few persons are capable.”

If Esther's narrative has not put you off the task of making a simple corned beef dinner, read on:

“…when the pot is coming to a boil, there will always, from the cleanest of
meats and the cleanest of water, rise a scum to the top of it. Proceeding partly from the water; this must be carefully taken off as soon as it rises…the oftener it is skimmed and the cleaner the top of the water is kept the sweeter the meat.”

20 Mar 2014 07:47 #7 by Unpopular Poster
Replied by Unpopular Poster on topic St. Patty's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage
Its a very low rent piece of meat..A salt bomb, and no matter what you do to it, it tastes terrible. Almost unedible, no, check that- it is unedible

13 Mar 2016 11:45 - 13 Mar 2016 11:47 #8 by ScienceChic
ExtremeModerate's recipe is in the crock pot and the delicious smell is wafting through the kitchen! :drool:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds