Yummy Memorial Day Sides

22 May 2014 12:35 #1 by BaconLover
Smoking a Pork Butt for the holiday and got that down pretty well (molasses brine/Penzy's rub/hickory smoke) but need some tasty sides to go with it.

What are some tried and true holiday side dish recipes???

Thanks!! :fwave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2014 21:18 #2 by otisptoadwater
Gotta have baked beans! How about some slaw and some tatter salad? Deviled eggs and pickles too. maybe a veggie tray with carrots, celery, and some radishes. Cheese plate with some really stinky, runny, soft cheeses and crusty breads or crackers would be good too. Strawberries are in season now, strawberry short cake or macerated strawberries over vanilla ice cream would be awesome too.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 May 2014 21:38 #3 by otisptoadwater
Otis's Version of Baked Beans

Get This Stuff:

4 cups dry pinto beans
4 cups dry black beans
1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
1 pound pulled pork or cubed smoked ham (or a half pound of each? Why not?)
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 onions, diced
2 Anaheim peppers, skinned and diced
2 Poblano peppers, skinned and diced
1 cup brown sugar
four tablespoons black strap molassas
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 Heaping tablespoons ground Cayenne, more or less to taste
2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, more to taste
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons ground Cumin

Do This:

Rinse the beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles then set aside.

In a heavy pot (think cast iron Dutch oven), saute the bacon pieces until halfway cooked and the fat is rendered. Add the diced peppers and onions to the pot and cook until the onions start to get brown, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by 1 inch.

Bring to a boil, and then add the brown sugar, ketchup, and spices. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the beans are tender and the liquid is thick, it should take 3 to 4 hours so this is a dish you prepare right after breakfast and let cook through lunch and then keep warm for an early afternoon dinner or re-warm for a later meal.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 May 2014 22:19 #4 by otisptoadwater
Purple Slaw

Get This Stuff:

1/2 head green cabbage, cored and shredded
1/2 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
2 cups shredded carrots
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Mayo? I wouldn't but some folks do...

Do This:

Toss cabbage and shredded carrots together in a large bowl. Mix sugar, salt, dry mustard and celery seed in a small saucepan then add vinegar, mirin, and oil and let come to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Pour the dressing over cabbage, carrot mixture and add sesame seeds then mix until all ingredients are fully combined. Cool to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, best if it's allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator but no less than four hours.

23 May 2014 22:36 #5 by otisptoadwater
Red Tatter Salad

Get This Stuff:

11 Red potatoes
1/2 Pound Bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 Green onions, trimmed and sliced
1 to 1-1/2 cups mayo or Miracle Whip (your preference)
1 cup Blue cheese crumbles
Salt and pepper to taste

Do This:

Clean and remove eyes from potatoes then lace potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender but take care not to over cook, potatoes should be tender but firm enough to hold their shape, not mushy. Drain and cut the potatoes into bite size chunks.

Let cool slightly before adding the bacon, green onions and the blue cheese. Toss then add in the blue cheese. Toss again with the mayo or that other stuff, rest for at least four hours in the fridge, and serve chilled. Garnish with some diced chives, paprika, and parsley if you're trying to impress company.

24 May 2014 07:38 #6 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Yummy Memorial Day Sides
I'm having yummy fresh corn on the cob, imported and flown in from Wisconsin last summer. :)

MMMMMMMM

http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8358081ff69e2017743ea5940970d-800wi

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

25 May 2014 11:47 #7 by BaconLover
Replied by BaconLover on topic Yummy Memorial Day Sides

otisptoadwater wrote: Gotta have baked beans! How about some slaw and some tatter salad? Deviled eggs and pickles too. maybe a veggie tray with carrots, celery, and some radishes. Cheese plate with some really stinky, runny, soft cheeses and crusty breads or crackers would be good too. Strawberries are in season now, strawberry short cake or macerated strawberries over vanilla ice cream would be awesome too.

I hear ya, Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad and Deviled Eggs are a must!! I love the classic's!!

25 May 2014 11:51 #8 by BaconLover
Replied by BaconLover on topic Yummy Memorial Day Sides
Deli Macaroni Salad

Ingredients
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and cooled under cold water
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 medium garlic dill pickles, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or 1 1/2 cups mayo base salad dressing, to taste
- pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (optional)

Process:
1) Place cold cooked macaroni along with grated onion and pickle in a large mixing bowl.
2) Add salt and pepper, mayo and enough pickle juice to moisten.
3) Be carful with the juice, you don't want the dressing too runny.
4) Add dill if you like and toss to coat.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds